Infection in hens face near ear?

Solvaymae

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2023
I noticed 4 days ago a small lump on one side of my 7 month old Blue Andelusion hen’s face. I went out of town, returned tonight. I went to check on her and it’s increased in size, and is affecting her ability to open her eye all the way.
The other side of her face is completely normal.
I brought her inside, did a warm Epsom salt & water compress, and have her in a dog crate. She’s eating and drinking and acting ok, but hasn’t laid in over a week.
I plan to call my vet tomorrow but don’t know if they deal with chickens. Any advice? Photos attached

Attachments

• IMG_4024.jpeg
    IMG_4024.jpeg
    440.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4025.jpeg
    IMG_4025.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4026.jpeg
    IMG_4026.jpeg
    399 KB · Views: 8
What does the inside of her beak look like?
Any bad odors?
Any lice/mites?
Have you added new birds recently?

Look behind the small tuft of feathers on her ear - is there any infection, pus, debris in the ear?

1706761164095.png

Maybe try to ice it, to temporarily help the swelling go down until you can get her to the vet. If the skin looks irritated, moisturize it with Vaseline, bc of the cold. Otherwise it looks like an ear infection.

What does the inside of her beak look like?
Any bad odors?
Any lice/mites?
Have you added new birds recently?

Look behind the small tuft of feathers on her ear - is there any infection, pus, debris in the ear?

View attachment 3738119
No lice/mites. No new birds or any changes at all actually. I will look in her mouth and behind those feathers tomorrow and see what I find and get pictures and will put them here. Thank you!!!

Maybe try to ice it, to temporarily help the swelling go down until you can get her to the vet. If the skin looks irritated, moisturize it with Vaseline, bc of the cold. Otherwise it looks like an ear infection.
Oh my goodness they can get ear infections??! I’ll try icing tomorrow and report back. Time to go learn about ear infections! Thank you

No lice/mites. No new birds or any changes at all actually. I will look in her mouth and behind those feathers tomorrow and see what I find and get pictures and will put them here. Thank you!!!

Oh my goodness they can get ear infections??! I’ll try icing tomorrow and report back. Time to go learn about ear infections! Thank you
Yes, they can get ear infections - Infection from respiratory illness or Ear Canker.

Ice will not help the situation. It looks like she has Pus in the ear or perhaps the sinus. Could be inside the beak (Canker). Chicken pus is a semi solid, ice will not do a thing, sorry.

Look inside the beak with a light while someone holds her. Take a picture if possible. Look into the check, on the tongue, and in the roof of the beak for any yellow to white gunk. Check for a bead odor. The swelling could be from a respiratory disease, a peck wound, or ear infection, hard to know which.

Back
Top Bottom