Infectious Laryngotracheitis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CowgirlJules, May 24, 2012.

1. CowgirlJules

CowgirlJules Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Atwater, CA
    I'm cross-posting an entry I just wrote on my blog because frankly, it's too painful to write out twice. But I'm hoping someone else can learn from my mistakes and avoid this horrible price I'm having to pay.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Thank you for posting your blog...now if EVERYONE took the time to read it and understand why it's important to cull sick birds; practice strict biosecurity and maintain a closed flock.
    I'm terribly sorry you are going through this. Give it some time and you'll be back in operation before you know it. I wish you the best.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

I'm am so, so sorry. I can only imagine the heartbreak you're enduring. Thank you for posting this here.

4. Erica

Erica Songster

Dec 5, 2010
    Goodness CowGirlJules, I'm so sorry you had to deal with such an awful disease in your flock. Best wishes with your recovery after the horror.

If it's any consolation, I've culled entire flocks twice due to disease. While dreadful to do, it's worth it having sneeze free yards (and good biosecurity) afterward, as well as being able to hatch chickens that aren't sick or in danger of becoming carriers.

I once culled a bird even as her ex-owner drove away (he'd swapped her for some roosters of mine). She was a beautiful blue leghorn, but as I took her down toward the pens I saw telltale nostril mucus and she began to sneeze... Too late to call the ex-owner back, so I had to bite the bullet. [​IMG]

Good luck,
    Erica

5. Thank you for sharing your difficult experience. I am so sorry for all you are going through. It sounds very tough -- I can't imagine having to put all your birds down. I do appreciate your sharing this to help others and hope this is widely read.
    Best wishes for the future.

6. soler

soler Songster

May 1, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    I am so sorry for your loss. It is terrible, and the worst is that it could have been prevented by vaccination. I am in the process of vaccinating all my birds, because the more i read the emergency forum, the more it seems to me a lot of sickness would have been prevented by a handful of simple vaccines.

Hope your next flock will be safe.

best
    sole

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    So sorry for your losses.

Thank you so much for posting. Don't know as I've read a more eloquent admonition (ought to be a sticky) and elegy on BYC.

Best of luck to you and your future flocks.

8. WasabiChicki

WasabiChicki Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern California
    Thanks for sharing Jules...
    I was contemplating having "coop shoes"... I only have 4 layers at the moment but 30 baby chicks will be here next week & I started to think,
    everyone else who has chickens in town also shops at the one feed store in town sooooo...
    this post was a great motivator for the bio-security practices I was contemplating;
    a very necessary eye opener for me.
    Hope many others can appreciate this thread too.... Sorry you have to go through this! [​IMG]

9. Darlagips

Darlagips In the Brooder

Feb 1, 2012
    Splendora, TX
    So sorry for your loss. I am just getting started, so I will take this advice seriously

10. CowgirlJules

CowgirlJules Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Atwater, CA
    Good; that's why I posted this. I have to admit, it's embarrassing that I ignored other peoples' admonitions, but if mine can help just one flock stay healthy, then maybe one good thing will have come from this.

I'm not quite done; I ran out of oomph. I'll probably finish off on Monday, and that's a bad deal, having all that time to think about it. Yesterday, I managed to just do it without agonizing over more than I already had.

My last little bantams will be getting the vaccine. I'm so glad I had them so far away, and since they were near my quail, I always tended them first, as there are things quail can catch from chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: