infertile eggs???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by corabee, Dec 1, 2011.

1. corabee

corabee Out Of The Brooder

I bought 24 hatching eggs from a local breeder and I am at day 10. I just candled, and 9 of the 24 were infertile. They looked like I just cracked them open to cook them. No difference. Is this an acceptable ratio? It seems awful high to me. Should I buy eggs from this breeder again? It wasn't anyone on here. How many infertile eggs is expected from a breeder who ships hatching eggs on a weekly basis? (mine were not shipped).

2. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    how do you know they weren't fertile?

3. corabee

corabee Out Of The Brooder

I don't, I assumed they were infertile since there was zero development at all.

4. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
  5. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

The best way to check for fertility in incubated eggs is before you crack them refrigerate them for a few hrs. first. It will firm up the yolks and whites so they won't be all runny. With a padded spoon, like a baby spoon, carefully rotate the yolk and look for the bulls eye. If there isn't one they were infertile. If there is one it was fertile but didn't develop. Ten infertile eggs is unacceptable. His roo is not doing his job and I would let the breeder know. If he makes it right by sending more eggs that's fine. If he doesn't I wouldn't order from him again.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:X2

7. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    We do not sell eggs unless we are getting at least 90% fertility. A lot of things can happen in shipment but yours were not shipped. This time of year old males sometimes are not fertile and young males may not be sexually active. But the bottom line is if they arent fertile here they arent going to be fertile when you get them.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Did you look for the bulls-eye when you cracked open the eggs to be sure it was a fertility issue?

9. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    I wouldn't necessarily say they were infertile.. I would agree with ibeier2000 (although I didn't know that would work.. see? Ya learn something new everyday! [​IMG]) and refrigerate them before you crack them open to see if there is in fact a bullseye... I would say the problem lies more with the shipping than fertility though.. Shipping is really hard on eggs and if you can get 50% hatch rate, consider yourself lucky.. [​IMG] Hope the rest all hatch for you! [​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

10. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    Quote:corabee said in first post they were picked up and not shipped so it would have to then be low fertility right?

x2 Contact the seller and see what they might be willing to do for you? You never know unless you ask. If they are not willing to do anything for you then do not buy from them for sure. It way just be the time of year as was suggested by another responder but if they are not willing to provide good customer service to you then who needs em!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by