infertile eggs???

Since there was no development at all, my number one suspect would be infertile eggs too but I would definitely crack some open to check.

Not sure where the eggs are from (region) but this time of year with cold weather, fertility may be affected. Also how they are incubated may be a big factor. I would not assume they were infertile without looking for a bullseye, which I've heard isn't as accurate once they've been warmed.

Quote:
I'm going out right now to test that theory. I just took a clear egg out of my incubator that I missed when candling. Actually I didn't candle a batch so I have a few clear eggs.

Last edited:
Awesome! Anxious for results!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Quote:
I went out and broke open the eggs. All but one of the yolks broke when I cracked the eggs into a dish. The one eggs whose yolk was intact was not fertile. So either your theory is correct or it wasn't fertile.

I was just curious and I still don't know but I'm taking a hatching break until after the holidays them I'll try it again.
hu.gif
idunno.gif

When I cracked them open I looked for the bullseye and found none. They were all from the same 2 breeds of chicken as well. I got several different breeds from her and only 2 of those breeds the eggs looked infertile. I actually removed 10 eggs since one had a blood ring.

How's this for a blessing?? My silkie hen that I thought was gone forever was found today sitting on 15 silkie eggs!!! The eggs that I lost were silkies and cochins so now I am overrun with silkie eggs. I moved her to a broody pen and left 8 for her to hatch and placed the other 7 in the bator. It will be a staggered hatch as my other are on day 11 now, but I need to give them a chance. Her tiny body could not cover 15 eggs. No matter how hard she tried, 7 would slip out from under her. Pray for a great hatch!!!! Some may be sizzles as well:)

So I have a question regarding infertile eggs.
I think my BCM roo may be shooting blanks. I was using a Brinsea incubator which behaved beautifully, turning, and keeping the moisture and temp right. But none of the 16 eggs developed. I cracked them all open and there were still a couple of bullseye’s I could detect which SHOULD mean they were fertile. But my friend had 2 broody hens sitting on another 16 for me, & none developed. One hen may have been off hers for a night (she was sitting in the duckhouse & they were giving her some grief LOL!) but the silkie was very constant. So I don’t know what is going on. L

• When I saved them prior to putting them in the incubator or under the broodies, I carefully kept them in a cold (50 degree) room which had a good humidity – I have been told you can keep them up to 2-4 weeks that way, mine were 6-8 days. I didn’t turn them at that stage. Anyway I am disappointed but there’s nothing I can do about it now.
  • Please could anyone with any knowledge about this let me know? thanks! Some people have talked about 'seasonal' fertility. My roo and his hens have been together for 5 months as a group; he is a great roo in terms of looking out for danger, directing them to food, fluffing up nest sites for them and standing guard nearby sometimes when they are laying. The hens seem to get along well with him and I have never noticed them rejecting (expelling his sperm) after he mates with them. They are all about 1 3/4 years old. I feed them mostley fermented feed, plus some dry higher protein game feed (I also have turkeys and want to make sure they have enough protein), garlic, kitchen scraps (veg peelings, grated carrots) mealworms, some ACV in the water (but not always as the geese throw it about a lot LOL!) I smash up and return any shells back to the hens.

Back
Top Bottom