Infertile rooster?

Thanks everyone. I have waited a week a few times and nothing. I posted a yoke picture once and 20 people said it was fertilized but I'm thinking they were wrong. The hen is a rhode island red and the rooster is a blue laced red wyondotte.

Some people say that some hens (or pullets) occasionally separate the sperm and expel most of it after copulating before it reaches the ova (eggs) inside her body. About 80% of it can be “ejected”, causing the chances of fertilization to be much lower. Apparently, some hens are picky about who fathers their chicks. (This is only something I’ve read and heard of before, but it is not something I have researched in detail. I have not explored the subject and I do not have any proof of results of experiments or experiences. But I think it’s something interesting and a quick google search provides many articles on the topic.)

On another note, infertility can be a sign of inbreeding. Did you get either the cockerel or the pullet from somewhere that the parents of one of the birds may have been closely related?

Dietary deficiencies can also lead to infertility. What do your birds eat?

Very pretty cockerel. I'd trim him. Wouldn't hurt to also post pictures from one of the cracked pullet eggs
I posted this in another group and everyone told me fertilized but maybe they were wrong? What do you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240201_074559_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240201_074559_Facebook.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20240201_074644_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240201_074644_Gallery.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 12
I am going through the same exact thing with my Deathlayer pair. I’ve incubated about 20 eggs with zero fertilization. And their butts aren’t extra floofy.

Attachments

• IMG_3569.jpeg
    IMG_3569.jpeg
    881 KB · Views: 5
Interesting. I wonder if it could just be the time of the year? Idk. I'm going to try the but thing and see what happens.
I am going through the same exact thing with my Deathlayer pair. I’ve incubated about 20 eggs with zero fertilization. And their butts aren’t extra floofy.

Rhode Island Reds make good cockerels. Why not get one or two of those? In general one cockerel per ten hens plus one or two extra works well. You will also get purebred chicks instead of a random hybrid that may or may not be a desirable cross.

Rhode Island Reds make good cockerels. Why not get one or two of those? In general one cockerel per ten hens plus one or two extra works well. You will also get purebred chicks instead of a random hybrid that may or may not be a desirable cross.
Im breeding the blue laced red wyandotte and just happen to have a red hen in their pen at the moment because the rest aren't laying.

Back
Top Bottom