Infertile rooster?

Kkboardman

Chirping
Jan 31, 2024
I have a hen who has been laying for about 2 months now. I've tried incubating her eggs and they appear to not be fertilized. Is there anyway to tell if it's her or my rooster who isn't doing his job? The hen is about 8 months old and the rooster is about 10 months old. I would assume it's an issue with the rooster but am unsure as this is my first time with a rooster. I've tried 10 eggs now both at different times and none were fertilized.

Attachments

• IMG_0153(1).jpg
    IMG_0153(1).jpg
    971.1 KB · Views: 15
I have a hen who has been laying for about 2 months now. I've tried incubating her eggs and they appear to not be fertilized. Is there anyway to tell if it's her or my rooster who isn't doing his job? The hen is about 8 months old and the rooster is about 10 months old. I would assume it's an issue with the rooster but am unsure as this is my first time with a rooster. I've tried 10 eggs now both at different times and none were fertilized.
What breeds? Some breeds need their butt fluff trimmed so breeding will be more successful.

Thank you. I guess I don't understand how chickens reproduce but I don't understand what their but fluff has to do with anything. Lol. Can you help me understand please?
Roosters don't have a penis. Instead, they have a cloaca, and so do the hens. For mating to be successful, they have to make contact. If the rooster is wobbly and isn't making contact, or if the feathers are getting in the way, he won't be able to fertilize the hen.

Back
Top Bottom