INFESTATION

um..not sure but..if the food has gone bad..?...it could be bad for the chickens?..
idunno.gif
.., someone here will know more to help you..Wendy

I've seen opinions on both sides of this fence:
1. Feed it - it's got bugs in it & chickens like bugs
2. Don't feed it - it's got bugs in it & that's bad

I seem to recall having read that feed with bugs in it has less nutrition in it. It's not a matter of the bugs being bad for the chickens, but rather that the food is less good for them.

Quote:
DITTO
The reason for this is that the fact that there are bugs in it shows decomposition of quality...
>this mean the vitamin and nutritional quality of the feed is compromised
>this means there is a higher risk of mycotoxin which even if not high enuf to cause death can certainly cause havoc within their systems.
Take it back if you see an excessive amount of fines (powder) or bugs/spidery web like stuff.

I recently purchased a bag of feed that smelled "off" I took it back and one sales person said she'd discount my next bag 50%, but I insisted that they replace it for free. I finally won and got a new bag. I would take it back so they are aware that they need quality control.

Bug droppings are bad. You don't want them in food. Bugs themselves are usually quite nutritious.

But then, when I was taking entomology, I ate all sorts of interesting things someone in our class cooked up as part of a project researching using insects to increase the nutrition of some foods. "Jimminy Bread" was...interesting. Good, but you really didn't want to look at it closely. Lots of caraway seeds to mask other...components.

Back
Top Bottom