Info on Cornish x

Garden Gal

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Virginia
I've been reading through the endless and informative posts / pros / cons on Cornish x's... However, is there any concise info on what they need in one area which I'm missing? I understand not everyone likes them, etc.. so I'm not looking for why not to do them, rather general information on how to go about raising a first time crop of perhaps 20 birds. Many thanks!

Well they will eat until they have no choice but to stop. They seem to cost more to raise as chicks, because of their unending appetite. But I do have to admit that they convert it into meat (and fat) very fast. They will absolutely attack the feeding tray. Some of them have bad legs and can't live to an old age.....die. Still I am looking at possibly getting a few hens and a rooster to use for breeding. Husband wants a few of those huge eggs.

Hi Rhonda, Thank you - I've definitely gotten the impression they are eating machines and probably will do best with space outside to forage instead of just sitting in front of a feeder. I could be wrong, definitely - since I've never raised them, but I thought they are not a "breed" and can not be "bred" - they are a combonation of two different breeds. Is this incorrect? I've read they really aren't that great for eggs - just meat. With that said, this is why I'm hoping for a source for more general info in one spot. Again - thanks!

I have 35 in a 12 x 12 box stall bedded with shavings. Mine seem to spend more time resting than they do either eating or drinking. Go to www.welp.com. They have good info on raising broilers. Also Murray's Broiler Booster helps prevent the leg and other problems.

I have been raising them for awhile now. They start off in a wooden box for approximately 2 weeks (1 week with a light), then out into the tractor for a couple of weeks. Everyday morning the tractor is moved to a new location. I have tried something new last year which I will do again. After the 2 weeks in the tractor, I'll put up the poultry fencing and use the tractor as a "coop" for them. For the last 4 - 6 weeks, they'll be in the netting area.
As far as the feeding, the first week they have food in front of them for 24/7. After the first week, they have food for 12hrs, then I remove it for 12hrs. I do the ~6AM to ~6PM without food, and ~6PM to ~6AM with food. And yes, they do eat at night, the bin has always been close to emptied in the morning. They also get table scraps and forage (in their pen area) in the daytime. I am always adjusting the food quantity so as not to waste it, but to make sure they have enough. If in the morning there is alot left, next time I add less. If it is bone dry, I'll add more next time.
They get fresh water 2 -3 times a day.
Kaj

Quote:
Kaj, is the tractor enclosed with wood or something to create a small building? I'm trying to figure out if I need to build something inexpensive for them to "roost" in over night. Thanks for the other info!

Quote:
Kaj, is the tractor enclosed with wood or something to create a small building? I'm trying to figure out if I need to build something inexpensive for them to "roost" in over night. Thanks for the other info!

The tractor is made of a PVC frame, wrapped in chicken wire. There is no wire on the floor of the tractor. I'll use a shade tarp and a plastic/fiberglass tarp for a roof to protect them from the elements. I have a picture of it on our site.
Kaj

Quote:
Best bet- raise them outdoors/ Feed only during light hours,rest at night after 2-3 weeks/feed around 20-23% protein/always fresh water/don't keep with the intent to breed because they won't breed true/ they were bred to be processed between 6-10 weeks/raise them like they were intended for and you won't be disapointed/don't believe all the horror storys/ have fun Will

Back
Top Bottom