Info on Emu's

emvickrey

ChowDown Silkie Farm
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Hornbeak, Tennessee
Does anybody know anything about Emu's?

My daughter told me she can get me some Emu eggs and knew I would research it before I gave an answer so here I am. I need to now if I really want to do this.

What do they eat?
Are they like chickens and eat on their own or have to be fed?
What is their worth as selling eggs or the Emu.

Just for starters.

UPDATE!

The little I found out last night has changed my mind. These big birds can really hurt you and our run you too. The eggs take 8 weeks to hatch and they are dark green. The 2 month hatch time was another thing that turned me away. The part where they have very powerful legs and can cut you wide open with their reet is the number one thing tht turned me away.

But still if anyone nows anything go right ahead and educate those others that are still interested.

Who knows, I may just sell the eggs.

Last edited:
I would love to know this too!
smile.png
Also, has anyone on here had success with hatching an emu egg? Just curious!

Our son got into emus a few years ago when there was big talk about a processing plant going to be put in the area. Two breeding pairs. They were put in the freezer as the processing plant never materialized. A lot of folks around here got them also and many were turned loose in the forest. They aren't the friendliest of birds, although their eggs are beautiful. That's all I know about them.

The lady I bought four Alpacas from had two, an unmatched pair Emmy and Ernie. They were hilarious. Friendly as all get out, and Ernie would try to eat your earrings (he actually did get a diamond stud from the owner and swallowed it right down) and wanted to eat your shoe strings and pick your pockets. I think they are probably like anything else, raise them as a baby and they will be like a pet. Emmie hated Ernie, so no eggs for the owner. Everytime Ernie would walk by her, she would reach out and give him a peck. It was so funny to watch. They have very intelligent eyes, and pretty ones too, but they may be actually dumber than a sack of rocks if the truth was known. I would LOVE a pair just to have around, if they were as good natured as these two were.

we have a breeding pair at work.
The male is great. Once the eggs are layed he takes over as "mom" and she becomes the protector. They(the female) make a really cool thumping noise, similiar to the Tom turkey we have. But the turkey is friendlier. We argue over who is going to go and water the pen, since the hen is so aggressive. Luckily we dont have to go into the pen to do this.

They are not pretty in the least bit. The chicks are cute though and very fast.
The eggs remind me of nerf footballs in size and texture. We have one we keep in a bucket near their pen. It has been preserved for guests to see and hold.
Emu oil is great for dry hand and such. I have been using some since my manager suggested it.

Is there a demand for the eggs or chicks? I'm not really interested in an animal that is aggressive. If I would be afraid of it I don't want it. I hve grandchildren that think they are invincable and would be hurt. Or the poor bird would get pelleted with BB's. Yeah, their boys. All boys. Anyway, it seems it would be very difficult to take the egs away if somebody wanted to buy them.

I remenber seeing them on Dirty Jobs and it wasn't easy catching them to move them to another pen. I just don't have the room here either for that. If I owned my own land and had room I just may try it. I have a great landlord. He says its yours do what you want.

australian emu's peck gold off the surface of creek beds and quartz bands in the outback.... Aboriginals have been known to cut the base of their kneck to retrive gold...

Youre right about them being bad tempered.......
big_smile.png

7205_jazzyseyes.jpg

I think mines pretty ! And she's a sweet heart. I raised her from very young. She use to play chase with my two nephews ages 3&4, until they moved. Even when she was big. I think if you spend a lot of time with them, they will be friendly like mine are.

Back
Top Bottom