info on wasps - can chickens eat them?

akyramoto

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
Northern CA
I've gotten a few nests around the coop - enough to where they were bothering me today while watering. can chickens eat wasps? will the wasps harm my chickens - will they sting them & such?

just trying to figure out the best way to get rid of them - i might end of spraying them, but then i have to go around & pick them up so my chickens dont eat the pesticide thats in the wasp spray.

Thanks!

Im not sure if they will eat them or not. If you can reach the wasp nests...get a large mouth mason jar...fill half way with vinegar...take the lid and scrape the nest INTO the jar....secure the lid, and SHAKE!! Do this with all of them, and the leave the lid on, out in the sun for a few hours. GONE! LOL
Waspies scare me....hubby gets to take care of them. I definately would NOT use a pesticide....just in case you miss one, and the chickens DO eat it.

thats a great idea. do u think maybe i could spray them with the vinegar? there are some that i can't reach. or maybe spray them down with the hose & squash them? its aggrivating. they're made nests all over in the open pipe ends on my chainlink chicken run. little bastards. the war has begun! lol.

oooh!! i just read on the net that soap might work well to kill them i think i'll try that first. wait if they have soap on them is that going to harm my chickens???

ahhh!!

Last edited:
I admit to not being an expert here, but I don't think I would leave the wasps for the chickens to eat, whatever way I got rid of them.
I think I read that WD-40 will knock them down. Then while they are down, step on them, and dispose of them. Good Luck!

i'm gonna try the vinegar, i will be disposing of them after they're dead too. that where one of those gopher grab-it tools comes in handy!! haha!!

I wish i had a super soaker water gun, that would be an insane little stream of vinegar wrath!

I'll post my results.

.................its been a long day plotting my attack.

Last edited:
Soap does not kill wasp it only prevents them from being able to fly and vinager will attract wasp not kill them... However, I just found a wasp trap plans which you use a 2 liter bottle and a no lethal liquid like vinager to attract them into the trap. I think this would be the most beneficial for you situation. If you good wasp trap 2 liter it will bring up a long list of plan ideas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom