Info on Welsummers, Wyandotte’s, and New Hampshire’s

Feb 17, 2021
Somewhere down in Texas
I’ve never owned any of these breeds before but I have been thinking about adding to my hatchery order for June and there are very limited options. These girls are on my list to add, and although I’ve heard bits and pieces about these breeds I was wondering if any experienced owners of these breeds could help me with more detailed info on their experience other than egg color, egg production, color, size, etc. Thanks for all the responses in advance. Note: to be more specific the Wyandotte’s would be Columbian, even though I think the color doesn’t really matter too much.
-ChickenWhisperer101

I have a splash laced red wyandotte and she is awesome. Gorgeous chicken. Has a mellow personality, lower on the pecking order, but not at the bottom. She was a very snuggly chick and still enjoys laptime once in awhile. 😊

I have two welsummers, and they are some of the best chickens I have owned. They are very friendly towards people, and not bossy or aggressive towards other flock members. They are hardy and do well in hot and cold weather (though I don't get very hot weather). Egg production is pretty good, and the terracotta brown eggs are a nice touch of color in an egg carton. I definitely recommend this breed.

Not a big fan of wyandottes (I have 5, had 7). My blue is one of the worst birds I have ever kept. She is very aggressive towards her flockmates. The silver laced aren't as aggressive, but not much good about them except for cold hardiness. They have sub-par production and the eggs are much narrower than other chicken breeds. The columbians may be different (breed traits can vary among the different lines), but I wouldn't recommend wyandottes.

I have two welsummers, and they are some of the best chickens I have owned. They are very friendly towards people, and not bossy or aggressive towards other flock members. They are hardy and do well in hot and cold weather (though I don't get very hot weather). Egg production is pretty good, and the terracotta brown eggs are a nice touch of color in an egg carton. I definitely recommend this breed.

Not a big fan of wyandottes (I have 5, had 7). My blue is one of the worst birds I have ever kept. She is very aggressive towards her flockmates. The silver laced aren't as aggressive, but not much good about them except for cold hardiness. They have sub-par production and the eggs are much narrower than other chicken breeds. The columbians may be different (breed traits can vary among the different lines), but I wouldn't recommend wyandottes.
Thanks for the good feedback on the welsummers

I have a splash laced red wyandotte and she is awesome. Gorgeous chicken. Has a mellow personality, lower on the pecking order, but not at the bottom. She was a very snuggly chick and still enjoys laptime once in awhile. 😊
That’s the color that I have been wanting but I love the Columbian color too. Thanks for the feedback

I have a colombian. She helped raise the rest of my adult birds (still have 2 partridge rock hens and a jersey giant roo). All are now tag-team babysitting the 14 hatchery's choice assortment 5 week olds. She's a canny bird, will go off by herself and vanish (hatch her go, try to follow and poof) just to turn up on the coop again. Not into cuddles but willing to settle in arms if we're retrieving her from the neighbor's horse shed. She also figured out quickly how to avoid getting overly pestered by Buster, our now fox food SLW roo when it was just her, him and a bunch of babies. She hasn't gone broody, but is a fantastic lead hen (smart bird). I suspect that the RIR will take over that spot once mature, though. (The little one already has Huge presence).

What did you end up getting? I got a welsummer in April, she is beautiful and very chill. Chatty little miss, but not loud. She hasn't started to lay yet but I'm looking forward to seeing her eggs

What did you end up getting? I got a welsummer in April, she is beautiful and very chill. Chatty little miss, but not loud. She hasn't started to lay yet but I'm looking forward to seeing her eggs
Sorry I responded so late. I’ve been busy with eggs and hatching chicks lately. :) I got a lot of breeds. I did get some Welsummers, Wyandotte’s, NHs, EEs, Cuckoos, Bielefelders, and a few more. I also got bantams, but there are a lot of them and I don’t want to list all of them right now. ;)

Sorry I responded so late. I’ve been busy with eggs and hatching chicks lately. :) I got a lot of breeds. I did get some Welsummers, Wyandotte’s, NHs, EEs, Cuckoos, Bielefelders, and a few more. I also got bantams, but there are a lot of them and I don’t want to list all of them right now. ;)
What is your own opinion on the Welsummers and Wyandottes now that you have them? I’m curious. I have both and like them both but for different reasons. They’re both still pullets, although the GLW is 7 months now, so I’m still pretty new to their breeds. :)

Back
Top Bottom