Votes: 11 16.2%
  • No, I give high protein feed

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Yes, I do not have a rooster

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • No, I do not have a rooster

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
I have birds go broody but I don't think any of the above choices reflect my management so I didn't choose anything. Like I don't free range but they also don't stay in the coop around the clock. I don't have a rooster. I don't incubate nor do I have broodies raise chicks (I buy chicks from a feed store). I feed 2 types of feed.

So long story short, yes I have birds go broody. But none of the poll options apply to me or maybe I'm misunderstanding the options.
Each item is sepatate. The yes-no piece would slways be "yes" since you do have broody birds. If you buy them from a feed store they were definitely incubated. The free range question would be "yes, I don't free range." The rooster question be "Yes, I don't have a rooster," and so on.

Should breed be included (production v. other), since a lot of people think that has a lot to do with it? (and the management style often reflects the breed being kept)
I considered that, but I thought it would make the poll really unwieldy. How would you structure it to include breed?

I have a lot of hens of different ages that go broody several times a year.

The actual breeds are

French Marans
La Fleche
Amrocks
Green/Olive eggers I bred myself for decades using Araucana for the blue/green egg genes which I no longer breed pure myself

I have several roosters.

My broodies hatch and raise the chicks unless I purchase fertile eggs from a fellow breeder which I incubate at the same time and after hatching add the chicks to the ones the broody hatched. This works well for all envolved.

I considered that, but I thought it would make the poll really unwieldy. How would you structure it to include breed?
Maybe something like:
"broody hen was a high production breed or hybrid"
"broody hen was any other breed or mix"

That would get at the biggest point, whether the production breeds really do go broody at a different rate, and then people could give details in the thread.

I agree that there are so many different breeds and mixes, there is no way you could get them all in the poll.

I have a mixed flock including 15 hens 1 rooster and 13 chicks. They are fed an all flock crumble feed 20% protein. They spend most of their time in an enclosed run but I try to let the out for a few hours at a time on days that I’m home in the evening.

Attached are the notes I have for my 2 girls that have went broody

IMG_4790.png
IMG_4791.png

I give normal layer pellets, have multiple roosters, and everyone stays in the coop for the most part. Some of my hens go broody, some don't. It just depends on the breed and hen herself. Some go broody multiple times a year, Some went broody once and never again. And some were raised by hens amd some weren't so it all just depends. Not all broody hens are good moms btw

Each item is sepatate. The yes-no piece would slways be "yes" since you do have broody birds. If you buy them from a feed store they were definitely incubated. The free range question would be "yes, I don't free range." The rooster question be "Yes, I don't have a rooster," and so on.
It says "Yes, I have a rooster" - there's no "I don't have a rooster option" +"Yes broody"

I also don't free range for more than a few minutes, which isn't free ranging, but there's no "Yes broody, but I don't free range all day nor do the birds stay penned all day" - there's only free range or coop as options, neither applies.

I can click incubated if you count birds that are incubated elsewhere, but with everything else... Am I seriously the only person confused?? 🤪

IMO none of the above really affects broodiness - breed is the biggest factor (which isn't taken into account at all) and of course the hormones in each individual bird regardless of breed.

Free range, 24-7 access to 20% protein all flock, 24-7 oyster shell access, 24-7 barn access (locked up at night), all incubator hatched and yes to roosters. All of my hens go broody at different times of the year with my most relentless being my little Porcelain d'Uccle bantam. She will try to hatch anything including duck eggs that are practically bigger than she is. For reference, I have orpingtons, welsummers, speckled Sussex and several D’Uccle’s.

Back
Top Bottom