Ingrown feather in quail?

Linita

Chirping
Dec 16, 2022
I have two japanese coturnix isabelle quails. They're 8 weeks old. They live indoors in a cage but I let them free in the living room too from time to time.

I have discovered some bumps in the chest of my golden quail. There's three of them. I have checked her a bit regularly because she likes to fly a lot, and sometimes she makes this sudden flights and also she kinda bumps a lot into things. I'm worried that she might have hurt herself tho so I have done some checkups from time to time, checking if there's any bumps, visible damage or if she complains about something hurting when I pass my finger on her.

I've noticed this bumps on her chest (3 total), and on inspection I have seen what you see in the pictures. One looks like maybe a healing small injury? I am not sure? And the other two look like ingrown feathers to me. I have never seen an ingrown feather nor did I know of their existence, but I figured it can happen same as hair in humans. What do you think? If that's the case, does she need any treatment? I have tried to open them a bit with an enthomology needle and one of the feathers (the one with the arrow) has started to exit just a tiny bit, I am going to wait to see if she handles it from there. For the ingrown feathers on the down right, I really don't know how to go about them. And the maybe healing injury, idk if it's that or an ingrown feather gone bad? or maybe she had an ingrown feather and then bumped into something and hurt herself there, I mean it's in a prominent part of the chest.

The yellow stain it's from Betadine I put on her after going with the needle and in the whole area just in case. Needle was also disinfected.

What do you think this is?
Do your birds get any ingrown feathers?
How do you deal with them?

Attachments

• 1676612621523.jpg
    1676612621523.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 1676612621526.jpg
    1676612621526.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 1676612621529.jpg
    1676612621529.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 11
  • 1676612621533.jpg
    1676612621533.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 11
The larger one with the scab *may* be infected and will likely need to be cleaned if so. For my chicken, I had to clean out the wound nightly and apply beading and triple antibiotic until it healed on it's own

The larger one with the scab *may* be infected and will likely need to be cleaned if so. For my chicken, I had to clean out the wound nightly and apply beading and triple antibiotic until it healed on it's own
thanks for thre reply
I don't think it's infected because it's not swollen, she doesn't complain when I touch it, and also there's no redness around it. I am assuming infection in birds looks like infection in humans. What I don't know is if it has some sort of ungrown feathers underneath or not, but for now I'll just wait for the scab to fall and see, because I don't wanna mess around with it.

Today I managed to take out the upper right ingrown feather. It wasn't too difficult with some tweezers and a lot of patience.

The down right lump tho, no idea how to deal with it.

What do you mean by beading? I am not a native speaker and all I find is related to beads.

The antibiotic you mean cream, right? or oral? the cream I guess you use the same as for humans

Does anyone know if ungrown feathers need intervention in general? Or when do they need it? And what to do with them?

thanks for thre reply
I don't think it's infected because it's not swollen, she doesn't complain when I touch it, and also there's no redness around it. I am assuming infection in birds looks like infection in humans. What I don't know is if it has some sort of ungrown feathers underneath or not, but for now I'll just wait for the scab to fall and see, because I don't wanna mess around with it.

Today I managed to take out the upper right ingrown feather. It wasn't too difficult with some tweezers and a lot of patience.

The down right lump tho, no idea how to deal with it.

What do you mean by beading? I am not a native speaker and all I find is related to beads.

The antibiotic you mean cream, right? or oral? the cream I guess you use the same as for humans

Does anyone know if ungrown feathers need intervention in general? Or when do they need it? And what to do with them?
Sorry! I meant betadine. I really hate autocorrect :rolleyes:

The lump is what I'm a bit concerned about as it looks similar to what my chicken had. But so long as it's not bothering her, it should be fine. Triple antibiotic WITHOUT pain relief is safe for them

Back
Top Bottom