Initial egglaying - is there a "ramp up"?

Lorielus

Songster
5 Years
Jul 9, 2017
Hi all,

Hope this finds you and your chickens all well.

At about 22.5 weeks, the 3 out of 4 hens (two cream legbars, one lavender legbar - still waiting on the Sussex) have lain their first eggs - medium light blue eggs with good yokes that were delicious.

However, that was on Thursday last week with no sign since and I just wondered - is there a ramp up when intially laying, i.e. they'll lay more and more often until they gets to their expected rate (from reading on the breeds 275+ a year seems to be expected)?

(Not that I'm desperate for eggs, just being my first chickens I figure it's a good sign that they're healthy and comfortable).

Thanks as always.

Sometime there is a 'Ramp-up". I've seen times with soft shell eggs before producing, no shell eggs, small eggs, no yolk eggs, malty yolk eggs and as with you periods of no eggs. Just be patient. The eggs are commin'. Put them on their egg layer feed and have grit and oyster shell available for them so they can peck at it if they need it.

Hi congrats on the eggs!

Yes, my Legbar pullets always start out a little spotty, but then eventually lay nearly an egg a day. The eggs are on the small to medium size, but always excellent quality.

It usually takes a few weeks for their systems to get into a rhythm.

Thanks a lot, that's reassuring - I was actually surprised at how high quality the intial "batch" were - firm shells, good yokes. Like you mentioned, medium size at best but really nice.

They're onto their layer pellets now (along with the odd handful of corn) and have a mix of oyster shell and grit, though they do seem to enjoy a good slug from time to time too.

Back
Top Bottom