Injured Baby Chick

WildandFree

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2020
Quick back story: mama hen hatched 5 chicks. I usually leave them to the mom, but noticed this one not getting up to follow the mama yesterday morning when she previously could. I grabbed her to check her out and noticed her leg. I put her in the house yesterday to help feed and give her water. Returned her to mama at night. Grabbed her again this morning, bc her leg is just dragging behind her. Help me out, what can I do for this poor chick.

Attachments

• 20210608_074228.jpg
    20210608_074228.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 20
Quick back story: mama hen hatched 5 chicks. I usually leave them to the mom, but noticed this one not getting up to follow the mama yesterday morning when she previously could. I grabbed her to check her out and noticed her leg. I put her in the house yesterday to help feed and give her water. Returned her to mama at night. Grabbed her again this morning, bc her leg is just dragging behind her. Help me out, what can I do for this poor chick.
Is it swollen? If so I would make her a mini splint out of a stick and a some tape. If not show me a closer picture around her leg.

Is it swollen? If so I would make her a mini splint out of a stick and a some tape. If not show me a closer picture around her leg.
It doesn't look swollen. I was just watching some you tube videos on slipped tendons. She looks like those chicks with the legs straight back but I can't feel anything wrong with the leg.

Attachments

• 20210608_083815.jpg
    20210608_083815.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210608_083840.jpg
    20210608_083840.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 9
What's going on with the middle toe? usually, there is swelling at the knee if it's slipped tendon.
Can you gently bend the leg at the knee?
any difference between this leg and the other leg?

What's going on with the middle toe? usually, there is swelling at the knee if it's slipped tendon.
Can you gently bend the leg at the knee?
any difference between this leg and the other leg?
Middle toe is just dirt. I'm not seeing any swelling. I can bend the knee and put her back down on it, but then she rolls to the side and her leg sticks back out. I've never seen anything like it. I'll try to post a video.

Back
Top Bottom