Injured baby

Angie McMahan

Chirping
Dec 28, 2017
Guys, the craziest thing just happened and I cannot for the life of me, figure it out. I heard the chickens making noise and went out to investigate. Opened the doors to henhouse and found a new baby chick lying there, not looking so good. He has a bit up blood on him and can't stand up. I have him in my bra now, waiting on bathroom to warm up enough and then I will rinse wounds and look closer. But...Where did he come from??? Is it possible that an egg from our hen that was broody last week, got mistakenly burried under the hemp, and hatched? We removed all the eggs after a few hatched last week. I can't even find evidence of the shell???!! I am sooooo confused. Where did this baby come from?? The only thing that even remotely makes sense, is that it was a forgotten egg, that somehow hatched. When this happened, it scared the adults and they started attacking him. Is that possible? I will post pic in a few.

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 12.57.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 12.58.07 PM.png

strange but not unheard of, if an egg was missed it can still hatch with the heat we've been having, and does look like the hens attacked it, you'll most likely have to brooder raise it, and would get some save a chick in him with being attacked, have some stypix or cornstarch on hand in case when you clean him up it starts to bleed again. and make sure he is dried off either by towel or hair dryer.
@Ridgerunner
@oldhenlikesdogs
@casportpony

Back
Top Bottom