Injured chick! Help!

stellagirl

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2016
Ingleside, TX
IMG_2779.JPG
One of my baby chicks was pecked pretty bad by one of my hens. Feathers and skin around the back and neck are gone but no bloody spots or injuries to the meat. I've had her inside for 4 days now and she is doing great! I would like to give her back to her momma hen at some point but I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Hoping someone can give me some advise!

Tell you what I would do----I would move momma and all chicks(making sure she accepts this one back---you can put it under her after dark) to a private pen, then this want happen again. I never Mix young with old-----to many problems like this comes up. Good Luck

Tell you what I would do----I would move momma and all chicks(making sure she accepts this one back---you can put it under her after dark) to a private pen, then this want happen again. I never Mix young with old-----to many problems like this comes up. Good Luck
What do you think my chances of momma taking her back are? I made an attempt this evening to reintroduce them and momma hen lunged to peck her...I was ready and saved her though. I'm so heartsick over this poor little chick. She needs to be with her momma!

What do you think my chances of momma taking her back are? I made an attempt this evening to reintroduce them and momma hen lunged to peck her...I was ready and saved her though. I'm so heartsick over this poor little chick. She needs to be with her momma!
If I was going to try I would make sure the chick was cleaned up(no med all over it like in the pic) I would go out there after dark and put the chick under her, then in the morning I would be there as soon as day was breaking(assuming your coop is dark during the night---no light) in the morning and watch at a little distance---being ready to jump in if needed. She Might accept it back, she might not but you can try. If she doesn't---then you could try pulling all her chicks away from her for a while before daylight then a few hours later give them all back at one time including this one. Keep that chick warm in the mean time. Good Luck!

If I was going to try I would make sure the chick was cleaned up(no med all over it like in the pic) I would go out there after dark and put the chick under her, then in the morning I would be there as soon as day was breaking(assuming your coop is dark during the night---no light) in the morning and watch at a little distance---being ready to jump in if needed. She Might accept it back, she might not but you can try. If she doesn't---then you could try pulling all her chicks away from her for a while before daylight then a few hours later give them all back at one time including this one. Keep that chick warm in the mean time. Good Luck!
Oh gosh, should I bathe the chick to get the medicine off? Her feathers are dried in stiff tufts. I'm so afraid of hurting her delicate little skin.
Thank you so much for all the great advice!
This was a hard lesson learned

Oh gosh, should I bathe the chick to get the medicine off? Her feathers are dried in stiff tufts. I'm so afraid of hurting her delicate little skin.
Thank you so much for all the great advice!
This was a hard lesson learned
I feel if you put it back looking so much different---Momma hen will think its not hers or something is wrong or what ever. Yes I would clean it up gently---blow dry and being the skin is not broken---probably want need any medicine re-applied--if you feel it does only a light coat on the skin---not the down/feathers. If I had it I would spray that spot with blu-kote so it would not stand out and also be protected. Good Luck

I feel if you put it back looking so much different---Momma hen will think its not hers or something is wrong or what ever. Yes I would clean it up gently---blow dry and being the skin is not broken---probably want need any medicine re-applied--if you feel it does only a light coat on the skin---not the down/feathers. If I had it I would spray that spot with blu-kote so it would not stand out and also be protected. Good Luck
I will make sure to buy some blu-kote before attempting it. Do you think the other chicks will pick on her, if mom accepts her? She is kinda freaky looking! Lol

I have no idea.
I personally would have already culled one injured that bad.

Back
Top Bottom