Injured chicken from dog attack

Eldergoobler

Hatching
Jul 24, 2018
2886D7A7-4C19-45DE-AC3B-45372F161276.jpeg
Hello! Our chicken was attacked by the neighbors dog and the wound is sizable on her rear quarters. We've sprayed her with vetrycin and wrapped her in clean cotton...she's in a crate in the warm garage currently resting. She can walk and she's eating and drinking. There's a large flap of skin/feathers and we've trimmed away some, but can't tell if there's muscle involved. She doesn't seem to be in shock. Any advice you have is greatly appreciated!!

:frowHi. Welcome.
I’m sorry you had to start out at BYC with an emergency but I’m glad you found us.
We’re always here to help or just chit chat about chicken stuff.

Poor girl!

You did everything right!
Clean the wound
Dress the wound
Keep the Bird quiet warm and safe
Offer food and hydration.
Let her rest.

Chickens can survive terrible wounds. Veterycin is great stuff.
Keep an eye out for infection.

Triple antibiotic ointment (without the pain reliever in it ) is good too especially with a bite would. And you could spray the veterycin over it. Keep applying the veterycin though to keep the wound bed moist and covered. But don’t let whatever cotton you have covering it get stuck. If it does, soak it good with warm saline or water before trying to peel it back.

Tomorrow , if she is reluctant to eat, soak her layer feed in water to a mash. And offer high protein foods -boiled egg, yogurt, canned tuna to aid in healing.

The flap of skin may dry up and fall off, or may need to be removed at some point.
Keeping it clean is most important. Personally I would not cover it, letting it breathe is usually better, unless it must be covered to keep it clean. Trim back any feathers that are touching or getting in the wound to help keep it clean, you can do that with small scissors. The veterycin is very good to use, you can also use plain neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment on it. As long as there are no internal injuries, no infection sets in, and the vent is not damaged then there is a very good chance she will heal up, it will just take some time. Here is an article with pictures of the healing process in a pretty severe wound, which may help you in knowing what things will look like as you go along.
http://richie-cunningham.com/2012/04/11/chicken-wound-healing-process/

We had a chicken get cut this this year on a cinder block. We separated her from the rest of the flock, then put a saline wash on the cut to clean it everyday. We also used farmers balm for cracked cow udders. I know it sound weird but it really works! always keep the wound clean and moist until it heals. You can also give her 4-5 aspirin per pound in one gallon of water to help with pain. Make sure she stays hydrated, warm, and is eating. And as always comfortable.

I know that chickens are different than people, but in people, research has shown that keeping wounds moist is better for wound healing than letting it dry out or exposing it to the air. https://advancedtissue.com/2014/09/debunking-wound-cares-biggest-myth/ I think you are doing the right thing. I had a chicken recover from a worse injury.

Absolutely agree with keeping it moist, which is why veterycin or neosporin is good, or even manuka honey. But keeping it moist doesn't necessarily mean covering it with a bandage. Every case is different, but bandaging material can actually cause problems with some wounds.

Back
Top Bottom