Dog attack

Jenny421

Songster
May 21, 2021
Our neighbors two dogs came into the yard and got a few of our chickens. Thankfully none died but some look pretty rough. One has no feathers on her thigh but the worst is this one. She’s eating and drinking and doesn’t seem to be in shock. I cleaned her wound with betadine and she was not happy. What else can we do for her? She separated and in the garage in a dog kennel.

Attachments

• IMG_6054.jpeg
    IMG_6054.jpeg
    678.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6052.jpeg
    IMG_6052.jpeg
    971.7 KB · Views: 42
Hi! I would irrigate the wound really well with saline or warm soapy water, let it dry and then slather it with plain antibiotic ointment. Offer her sweetened water for shock and give her whatever she wants to eat. Keep her warm as well.
Thank you!

How is she?
She’s doing ok. She’s eating and drinking fine. She has been kind of squatting some and I’m a little worried if she could have a crushed egg inside her. But she’s pooping normally and no weird discharge from her vent. I used Vetericyn and some antibiotic ointment on her today. I guess time will tell….she’s separated and in our garage. She likes laying in front of the fan.

Hopefully, there are no internal injuries that will show up, but I would keep up what you are doing and encourage her to eat and drink. Don’t be shocked if she starts to molt soon. My hen who suffered a similar dog attack, limped some, and went into a big molt. Mine stopped laying for several months, and laid soft shell eggs thereafter. Hopefully your hen will recover totally. Keep her away from flies, and separated at least in a dog crate, so her wound does not get pecked.

Hopefully, there are no internal injuries that will show up, but I would keep up what you are doing and encourage her to eat and drink. Don’t be shocked if she starts to molt soon. My hen who suffered a similar dog attack, limped some, and went into a big molt. Mine stopped laying for several months, and laid soft shell eggs thereafter. Hopefully your hen will recover totally. Keep her away from flies, and separated at least in a dog crate, so her wound does not get pecked.
Yes, she’s in a dog crate away from the others. And she actually laid an egg tonight!! I’ve never been so happy to see an egg!

She’s doing ok. She’s eating and drinking fine. She has been kind of squatting some and I’m a little worried if she could have a crushed egg inside her. But she’s pooping normally and no weird discharge from her vent. I used Vetericyn and some antibiotic ointment on her today. I guess time will tell….she’s separated and in our garage. She likes laying in front of the fan.
How is she?
And she laid an egg tonight!!! I was so happy to see that egg.

Back
Top Bottom