Injured chicken neck

stephanie munson

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 9, 2011
Yesterday one of my ladies a 6 mo Coo Coo moran got out of the run ,when I went to put her back she spooked and fell out of my hands and landed upside down on her neck/ head she got right up but now her neck is twisted kinda like it's kinked.Today she ate drank and did her thing in the yard. I'm worried and un sure what to do... Please give any advice or thoughts .

frow.gif
Welcome to the forum!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us but wish it were under better circumstances
frow.gif

I once had a hen that injured her neck. I think she hit the feeder flying down from the roost, but I'm not sure. She was holding her head drawn back, not to the side, and refused to eat or drink. I talked to a professor that teaches chicken disease at the University, and he pretty well assured me it was an injury, not an illness.

Since whe would not eat or drink, I used a medicine dropper and put drops of that hummingbird syrup in the front of her beak. The idea was to get something in her to rehydrate her and give her some energy. Sugar water would have worked too.

I did that a few times that day. The next morning, she was eating and drinking on her own. She made a full recovery, although her neck was permanently disformed a little. You kind of had to look for it, but it was there.

If she is eating and drinking on her own and being active, I'd leave her alone. I don't know if that is the best thing to do, but it is what I would do.

Good luck and again
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom