injured chicken

ttrackwell

Hatching
Jun 17, 2018
So.... my chicken had a cut on her leg a couple weeks back, as a nurse, i cleaned it and dressed it until a scab formed. Well this morning after letting the chickens out of the coop. It was noted that she was not using that leg again, upon closure observation, she had a gaping hole in her leg and what appears to be her tendon/ligament poking out of it. The foot is flaccid , however still able to move the leg around. I'm sure the foot is done for without surgery, I really dont have the money for it. Is there a way to get the foot to splay open or a brace I can put on her. She does not seem to be in distress and is eating and drinking. Please help!!!

So.... my chicken had a cut on her leg a couple weeks back, as a nurse, i cleaned it and dressed it until a scab formed. Well this morning after letting the chickens out of the coop. It was noted that she was not using that leg again, upon closure observation, she had a gaping hole in her leg and what appears to be her tendon/ligament poking out of it. The foot is flaccid , however still able to move the leg around. I'm sure the foot is done for without surgery, I really dont have the money for it. Is there a way to get the foot to splay open or a brace I can put on her. She does not seem to be in distress and is eating and drinking. Please help!!!
Could you post a picture of the injury? That'll help us know just how bad it is.

Sounds like either she was or the other chickens were picking at the injury. If you havent already try to get a bandage back over it so they leave it alone.

I've heard of using splints on chicks so one for an adult is probably out there, i dont have any advice on how to make one for an adult though

I haven't taken a picture and will do so in the morning. I'm just trying to keep my chicken alive, shes a great chicken and a great layer. Would hate to think of her in pain though. When I redress the wound in the morning I will take a picture.

20190104_175132.jpg

I had to debride the wound and those yellow spots on either side is the tendon. Unfortunately the piece in the middle came out during the debridement

I would try to splint the foot with a shoe and tape, and apply plain neosporin ointment to the wound. That would be a shame if her foot does not regain feeling, but chickens can get along with only one leg. For splinting you can use foam meat packaging, doubling it and cutting to size. Here is a good link on page 23 of this good link for a shoe splint:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Back
Top Bottom