Injured Pullet

I've a beautiful OE five month old pet pullet named Olive (Ollie for short) who overextended her leg a few (maybe 2?) weeks ago. Her left lower leg slowly stopped working and now is limp and curled but still warm. No pain reaction on pinch test. Since two days after the initial injury, she's had more Epson salt baths than I've ever had myself, lol. I've been doing OT on her and I was massaging Hypericum and Calendula cream on her leg.

I took her to an avian vet yesterday. Blood tests, x-rays, workup, etc. All tests negative. She was previously vaccinated. (*Not Marek's, not bumble foot or any other avian disease or vitamin deficiency. This is *definitely* an injury.) She's now on an anti-inflammatory, (as needed) pain meds and a vet prescribed muscle balm.

She's been staying inside with me, and I've been limiting her movement. She's happy & healthy, eating & drinking well, chatty and trilling. I've been putting her outside to socialize and she goes to quietly sit down after saying hello to everyone. She hop runs and compensates for her bum leg/foot when she hears me coming with treats.

Last night, I felt a knobby round-ish hard piece which semi-freely moves around on her inner upper thigh. I don't want to try and move the knobby piece without knowing where it needs to go or stay. Short of going to the store and buying a whole chicken to dissect for curiosity's sake, I'm wondering if she could have dislocated her cartilage or her anterior cruciate ligament by her knee.

I attached two videos for reference. The first one was a few days after she overextended her leg.
Olive A Few Days After Injury

The second one was this morning. (I started videoing and my dog Duke got her to move so you could see what I've been writing about. I called him off and her sister Muffin started grooming her after Olive laid down.)
Olive This Morning

Aside from rest, Vitamin B Complex supplements and the medicine I have for her from the vet, has anyone else dealt with this? If so, was anything successful? I'm not looking to cull her or put her to sleep since she doesn't appear to be in any pain and is right now very contently trilling outside in the sun. Any positive help is appreciated. Thank you!
What happened to your chicken? Did she make it? Did her leg ever heal? Did she ever lay?

Back
Top Bottom