Injured cockerels

Unfortunately this is what cockerels/roosters do at times - they beat each other up, sometimes killing each other.
Are there females too or just the males? Boys coming of age can become territorial to and sometimes even the most docile will fight.

>> I am beginning to learn this about cockerels. Yes, there are more female than males. But, two girls had nine chicks, down to four boys and one girl. They were born mid summer and are getting all grown up. I suppose in a way, this is just the nature of keeping their population in check. I’m just trying to keep this guy comfy inside. Tomorrow I will check on the other two I noticed were injured at the end of the day. They seemed to keep away from the group and less injured. Just hoping for the best. Poor wild chickens.

>> I am beginning to learn this about cockerels. Yes, there are more female than males. But, two girls had nine chicks, down to four boys and one girl. They were born mid summer and are getting all grown up. I suppose in a way, this is just the nature of keeping their population in check. I’m just trying to keep this guy comfy inside. Tomorrow I will check on the other two I noticed were injured at the end of the day. They seemed to keep away from the group and less injured. Just hoping for the best. Poor wild chickens.
You are making him as comfy as you can.
Keeping him hydrated is important. Since you don't own chickens and probably don't have "chicken stuff" on hand, you can make a weak sugar water to offer to him.
He is going to be sore for a few days if he pulls through, for food you can offer scrambled/hard boiled egg and a small amount of soaked oatmeal.

I'm sure it's distressing to see them fight and attack one another. The neighbor's dog seems to add to that. Do the best you can. I hope he pulls through.

You are making him as comfy as you can.
Keeping him hydrated is important. Since you don't own chickens and probably don't have "chicken stuff" on hand, you can make a weak sugar water to offer to him.
He is going to be sore for a few days if he pulls through, for food you can offer scrambled/hard boiled egg and a small amount of soaked oatmeal.

I'm sure it's distressing to see them fight and attack one another. The neighbor's dog seems to add to that. Do the best you can. I hope he pulls through.

>> Thank you. Lucky I have super mama instincts and did everything you’ve suggested. He woke up the morning and talked a bit. I was able to clean him better, and see that he is only injured around his head. I was able to clean off all the dried blood from the most important areas, so that he can breathe better. I suppose it was distressful for him as well because he lay down and is now sleeping. He’s breathing well. I now have him in a intermediate size kennel so he has more space for sugar water and a mix off egg and cooked corn meal. I know they love cooked cornmeal and fresh veggies and fruit because I make them, what I call chicken pies. Haha. With fruit and veggies along with plain oats, grits, or cornmeal cooked. They love it.

Unfortunately this is what cockerels/roosters do at times - they beat each other up, sometimes killing each other.
Are there females too or just the males? Boys coming of age can become territorial to and sometimes even the most docile will fight.

>> Yes, there are both sexes. There were here when I moved here three years ago. There are actually more female than makes. There are four juvenile males, and three adult males have been injured. My hubby and I agree that, it’s just nature’s way of population control. None the less, I couldn’t leave Big Man in the street suffering. So, he’s now much cleaner, is breathing better, even cock-a-doodle-doo‘ed this morning. He has been very patient and I was able to check under his wings and his breast to make sure that the injuries we’re only located around the head and face. In spite of how bad he looks. I think he’s doing pretty good. Poor guy.

>> Thank you. Lucky I have super mama instincts and did everything you’ve suggested. He woke up the morning and talked a bit. I was able to clean him better, and see that he is only injured around his head. I was able to clean off all the dried blood from the most important areas, so that he can breathe better. I suppose it was distressful for him as well because he lay down and is now sleeping. He’s breathing well. I now have him in a intermediate size kennel so he has more space for sugar water and a mix off egg and cooked corn meal. I know they love cooked cornmeal and fresh veggies and fruit because I make them, what I call chicken pies. Haha. With fruit and veggies along with plain oats, grits, or cornmeal cooked. They love it.
Glad to hear he is doing o.k.!
It's good that he is eating and drinking - good sign!
He's going to need some rest for a few days.
Do his eyes look o.k. are they damaged?

Glad to hear he is doing o.k.!
It's good that he is eating and drinking - good sign!
He's going to need some rest for a few days.
Do his eyes look o.k. are they damaged?

>> He is so swollen. One eye can open but the other can’t. It’s either really damaged, crusted with dried blood or very swollen. I tried cleaning it better but I could tell it was hurting him, so I decided that cleaning his airways was most important. I used a diluted saline and hydrogen peroxide 75/25 and just sprayed him down then warm water and paper towels and q-tips to get into his nostrils and mouth. I think he’s bleeding from his mouth. I can not tell if his esophagus is punctuated or if it’s just his face beat up. Poor guy. He was the cream of the crop. So sad to see him so pathetic. I have four cats and they are not happy with the scent of him and his blood. They are actually scared. Haha. Scaredy cats.

Is he still bleeding? From the beak?
Any trouble breathing?

It's going to take several days for the swelling to go down. Hopefully the eye is still intact in there.
If you need to re-clean any wounds, leave of the Peroxide, just use saline.

Hope he gets better soon.

>> Thank you. I will photo log for now on since it’s become a reoccurring and more frequent issues, that is very stressful to be honest. I couldn’t agree more with your insight. These chickens are considered wildlife in my county. So, no one really has jurisdiction over them. However animal control has been contacted after several attempts to work things out with the neighbor. Animals control actually showed up while I was outside explaining to the neighbor the dangers of their not properly controlling their dog. The owner bold face lied twice to the animal control officer. The officer pointed out that this same dog, owned by them has been reported several times now and told the owner “I brought your dog back to you six months ago.” And the owner bold faced said “No. You didn’t not bring my dog back.” . The officer checked and asked the owners name and said “Yes, it was your dog. I brought her back to you. You signed for her.”.. Oh my!! The things people think they can get away with. It’s quite shameful.

And this show's that the owner of the dog intend's to do nothing about it, and it will keep happening.

Back
Top Bottom