Injured duck foot she won’t walk on it HELP ASAP

May 25, 2020
Marysville Washington State
Hi!
My duck named Little Food has something wrong with her left foot, I noticed it about a week ago, she wouldn’t put any weight on it, and her tail was slightly to the right (almost like she was trying to balance herself). :She wouldn’t extend her leg out but was trying to. I assumed her foot/toe might be broken.

it happened within about 45 min from when I saw them all walking around to her not moving.
I didn’t see or hear anything so I have no idea how this happened.

I made her a splint and it seemed to help for a few days, but I had to leave to Vegas for a 3 day trip so I took it off to avoid it getting wet while I was gone and I assumed the sitter wouldn’t be able to change it on her own.

I got home yesterday and it seems worse now and she seems more uncomfortable, Her leg is warmer then the other one and I’m concerned she might have bumble foot in her bone..

Can anyone give me any insight on this? I’ll attach photos. Im super tight on money so if there is anything I can do at home that would be great! If not can anyone recommend a poultry vet around Marysville wa? I’ve had 0 luck calling around from one in my area..
I’ve dealt with regular bumble food multiple times with my ducks but this is very different then the other cases so I dont know how to fix this.

You’ll also see her bone looks slightly off and is a bit larger then it should be
52F8C122-94E5-4F79-8483-65A9A602D0D0.jpeg

Attachments

• 0F503CA5-9F33-4332-A244-CFA7593C3F68.jpeg
    0F503CA5-9F33-4332-A244-CFA7593C3F68.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 2CD10208-7C69-4B47-9A9D-2527608D050E.jpeg
    2CD10208-7C69-4B47-9A9D-2527608D050E.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 4
  • 0E397834-3608-43CD-9BC8-3647C76C9D92.jpeg
    0E397834-3608-43CD-9BC8-3647C76C9D92.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
There is some minor bumblefoot occurring in the middle toe, but I can assure you this is not the current cause of her limp.
If the limp occurred suddenly, she may have tripped, or caught her foot caught in an object that resulted in some soft tissue damage (strain, sprains). Unless you feel broken bones, or hear abnormal clicking her joints, I suspect this to be the case.
The best treatment for a soft tissue injury is rest, and time. To help hasten healing you can administer an NSAID such as aspirin daily to help combat some of the inflammation.
In addition, keep the duck on soft grounds, and provide cool deep water daily.
These injures can take as long as three weeks or more for improvement.

There is some minor bumblefoot occurring in the middle toe, but I can assure you this is not the current cause of her limp.
If the limp occurred suddenly, she may have tripped, or caught her foot caught in an object that resulted in some soft tissue damage (strain, sprains). Unless you feel broken bones, or hear abnormal clicking her joints, I suspect this to be the case.
The best treatment for a soft tissue injury is rest, and time. To help hasten healing you can administer an NSAID such as aspirin daily to help combat some of the inflammation.
In addition, keep the duck on soft grounds, and provide cool deep water daily.
These injures can take as long as three weeks or more for improvement.
Thank you! Should I limit her mobility? Or keep her from the flock? I’ve been giving her epson salt baths daily to help, how would I administer the aspirin?

Thank you! Should I limit her mobility? Or keep her from the flock? I’ve been giving her epson salt baths daily to help, how would I administer the aspirin?
Preferably you would limit her movement so injury is less likely to occur.
The aspirin dose for birds is 5miligrams per pound.
For a five-pound duck that would be near 11 milligrams - so try to cut one baby aspirin into a 1/8 and pop it in her mouth, or hide it in a treat.
That dosing will not be exact but will be close.

Back
Top Bottom