Injured duck has ruptured eye ball ---- HELP!

Layzedee

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 15, 2013
My sweet Sweedish duck, Donna, was attacked by a stray cat. Luckily my husband happened to see the attack and let's just say that cat is no longer a problem. I checked Donna and her eyeball is obviously ruptured. I could find no other injuries on her. I slathered it with neosporin. I feel so bad for her; she is obviously in pain. I have separated her and put her in a cage in my brooder shed. We don't have a vet in the area that treats poultry or waterfowl. I have veteracyn but wasn't sure if I should use it on her eye. Is there anything I can do for the pain? Won't the eyeball get infected if it isn't removed?

I would start calling around and find a vet somehow.

They can prescribe metacam and other pain killers, and do the surgery.

Veterycin makes an eye gel if you can get that.

Let me look around for information.

hugs.gif

You may want to post over on the Duck Forum - many more duck people check in there.

This seems mildly encouraging. Surgery may not be needed if I read this correctly. See what you think.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/PhysicalTraumatic/Eye_Injuries.htm

Last edited:
I would start calling around and find a vet somehow.

They can prescribe metacam and other pain killers, and do the surgery.

Veterycin makes an eye gel if you can get that.

Let me look around for information.

:hugs

You may want to post over on the Duck Forum - many  more duck people check in there.
My sweet Sweedish duck, Donna, was attacked by a stray cat. Luckily my husband happened to see the attack and let's just say that cat is no longer a problem. I checked Donna and her eyeball is obviously ruptured. I could find no other injuries on her. I slathered it with neosporin. I feel so bad for her; she is obviously in pain. I have separated her and put her in a cage in my brooder shed. We don't have a vet in the area that treats poultry or waterfowl. I have veteracyn but wasn't sure if I should use it on her eye. Is there anything I can do for the pain? Won't the eyeball get infected if it isn't removed?

Thank you. I have posted on the duck forum. I have never started a thread before so didn't explore enough to find the duck forum.

I will check with my vets first thing in the morning. We have an emergency vet clinic that all the vets use, but I just can't afford their outrageous charges.

I will try to get the pain meds and the eye gel first thing tomorrow. Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom