Injured Duck. Help!

CraigJarvis

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 15, 2013
I have a pair of Rouens. My female was attacked by a dog. As far as I can tell, there are no open wounds. I've not x-rayed her, but nothing appears to be broken. But she won't put weight on her right leg and hobbles terribly!! I really thought she was just bruised and sore, but it's been a week and a half and she's not getting better. She is eating and drinking normally, so that's a good thing. Is there anything I can do to help her? Is there any type of pain reliever that is safe for ducks??? Any advice is appreciated!

I have a pair of Rouens. My female was attacked by a dog. As far as I can tell, there are no open wounds. I've not x-rayed her, but nothing appears to be broken. But she won't put weight on her right leg and hobbles terribly!! I really thought she was just bruised and sore, but it's been a week and a half and she's not getting better. She is eating and drinking normally, so that's a good thing. Is there anything I can do to help her? Is there any type of pain reliever that is safe for ducks??? Any advice is appreciated!
welcome-byc.gif
first off if you can afford to take her to a vet that maybe a good idea since she could have an injury your not able to see, also keep her in an area where she isn't having to run around to keep up with the drake, even a large dog crate till you see noticeable improvement. As long as she is constantly trying to get around it will take longer for her to heal and could even damage the leg more. Can you do this, bring her inside and put her into a nice warm bath, while she is floating around observe her is she moving the leg normally also wrap her in a towel and check her over really good, under all the feathers there could be an open wound and it would be really hard to see if not examined closely. Did you see how the dog had hold of her? she could have an injury to her back and could be why she isn't walking normal. Metacam is often prescribed for waterfowl. Not sure if you can get it without prescription but you have to be very careful what you give to them aspirin can cause kidney damage etc. Adding some good poultry vitamins to her water daily will also help keep her in shape but making sure she hasn't a wound and infection somewhere should be top priority please keep us updated.
http://www.duckrescuenetwork.org/DRNBoard/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=168

Last edited:
I did not see how the dog attacked her. I'm pretty sure it's actually her leg that's injured, just by the way she moves and holds it up if she's standing. I'll bring her in and do what you suggested with the warm bath. Thanks!

I did not see how the dog attacked her. I'm pretty sure it's actually her leg that's injured, just by the way she moves and holds it up if she's standing. I'll bring her in and do what you suggested with the warm bath. Thanks!
Let us know what you see, hopefully it is just a bad sprain but could also be a dislocation so feel up around where leg joins to her body feel for swelling and heat, heat can mean infection as can swelling.

Back
Top Bottom