Injured duck - Leg Was Tied - Photo attached

This am she wanted OUT of her kennel. I obliged. I've left her on the porch for the day, not locked up.

https://instagram.com/p/BPxS05_hdLD/

She's moving around pretty well and the swelling is down even more.

Vet appointment this afternoon.
Aren't they amazing. Her leg looks so much better. Looks like she might try a jail break calling in the reinforcements.

The vet visit went well. The dr. says that she's very lucky to be in as good a shape as she is, and that she'll keep the foot. There is some slight necropsy of some of the tissue, but not enough for the foot to be a loss.

We came home with an oral prescription for meloxicam for inflammation and a topical antibiotic (mupirocin.) Initially she was going to give me an oral antibiotic, but we went with a topical because the oral would mean that I could likely not eat her eggs. That's a problem if I'm to put her back with the flock. She (the Dr. didn't think the topical wouldn't do the job, but we went over what to look for as far as dogs of infection or inflammation cutting off circulation.

She even commented that the was still some texture at the wound site, so her leg may heal up just fine!

Ladies and gentlemen of the duck forum, you seem to have doneit! Thank you! Your guidance and assistance has been invaluable! Thank you so much for everything (especially the epsom salt soaks, the dr highlighted that specifically saying decreasing the swelling may have saved her foot.)

The vet visit went well. The dr. says that she's very lucky to be in as good a shape as she is, and that she'll keep the foot. There is some slight necropsy of some of the tissue, but not enough for the foot to be a loss.

We came home with an oral prescription for meloxicam for inflammation and a topical antibiotic (mupirocin.) Initially she was going to give me an oral antibiotic, but we went with a topical because the oral would mean that I could likely not eat her eggs. That's a problem if I'm to put her back with the flock. She (the Dr. didn't think the topical wouldn't do the job, but we went over what to look for as far as dogs of infection or inflammation cutting off circulation.

She even commented that the was still some texture at the wound site, so her leg may heal up just fine!

Ladies and gentlemen of the duck forum, you seem to have doneit! Thank you! Your guidance and assistance has been invaluable! Thank you so much for everything (especially the epsom salt soaks, the dr highlighted that specifically saying decreasing the swelling may have saved her foot.)
So sweet pics. That is great news @dotknott I am so happy for you and her that the vet was optimistic about it all. We offered suggestions but you did all the work and it has paid off. Did she say when you can let her back with the flock. I'd think more healing first? Especially being as the creek probably has bacteria of some kind in it.

So sweet pics.  That is great news @dotknott
   I am so happy for you and her that the vet was optimistic about it all.  We offered suggestions but you did all the work and it has paid off. Did she say when you can let her back with the flock. I'd think more healing first? Especially being as the creek probably has bacteria of some kind in it.

She's going to separated for about 6 - 7 weeks to heal up, and since the anti inflammatory she's on means her eggs can't be eaten for about that long it doesn't make sense to put her back with the flock.

She's going to separated for about 6 - 7 weeks to heal up, and since the anti inflammatory she's on means her eggs can't be eaten for about that long it doesn't make sense to put her back with the flock.
Good idea for sure. Well we're all encouraged these birds are amazing animals. Your a good nurse too.

Janet Quackson (I've decided to name her, because interacting with her this much means she needs a name) was running around the deck this am. Running. Still limping a bit, but running. And quacking. 6 weeks of this is going to be a challenge, but I'm only three weeks out from my first hatch date, so at least the halfway mark is going to be duckling-full.

Janet Quackson (I've decided to name her, because interacting with her this much means she needs a name) was running around the deck this am. Running. Still limping a bit, but running. And quacking. 6 weeks of this is going to be a challenge, but I'm only three weeks out from my first hatch date, so at least the halfway mark is going to be duckling-full.
Sounds like Janet Quackson [cute name] is doing great. Awesome news!!

Back
Top Bottom