Injured Duck leg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Beccat05, Nov 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Beccat05

Beccat05 In the Brooder

Nov 12, 2019
    Hi there!
    My boyfriend and I are new to ducks (have had them only 3 weeks now)
    Unfortunately our male 1.5 year old Khaki Campbell got out of the pen as our dogs were also out (the dogs are not used to the ducks and everyone is still separated) long story short I'm thinking he injured his leg trying to get away from them. Day 1 he was just dragging it behind him so I vet wrapped it and put him in a dog kennel. I couldnt pin point anything actually wrong when i compare with the good leg. He moves it but a hip dislocation could still be possible. I removed the wrap when he seemed to be trying to use it more. So today is day 5, he's still isolated but is standing more and hovering that leg. (Flexes the foot occasionally) I've read a lot about getting them in water but he freaks out if I get too close so I dont want to cause more damage trying to catch him. He's still eating/drinking as normal
    I'll attach a photo. The wrap is off but he still holds it at this angle. Any advice is welcome! Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Duck_life

Duck_life Duck Addict

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    I'd use a net to catch him, my ducks are also limping right now from previous owners, I normally put them in epsom salt (warm bath) for 20 minutes and let them swim around, then I start making them swim with the other ducks, I normally cut down on the feed is the case is overweight but this isn't. When my muscovy got attacked by a fox she had a horrible limp, @Miss Lydia helped with some advice. It took my muscovy duck almost 2 months to heal so sometimes things like this could take a while.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

I think it’s just going to take time to heal even if a sprain. So some rest and good vitamins liquid BComplex for leg health. And yes water therapy is great it if you have to chase him down to get him In the water is just leave him alone. You examined his leg real good for breaks, swelling unusual heat?

DuckyDonna and Duck_life like this.
  4. Beccat05

Beccat05 In the Brooder

Nov 12, 2019
    Yes, I couldnt find anything out of the ordinary, not even a scratch, it's fairly cool to the touch.
    I'll get the vitamins and keep him on bedrest. Thanks!!

DuckyDonna, Duck_life and Miss Lydia like this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

:welcome Best place for liquid B complex is TSC if your In the US it maybe in the cattle dept a dig will say injectable but we give orally 1 ml daily over feed or a treat just enough he gets full dose.

Beccat05, DuckyDonna and Duck_life like this.
  6. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    I had a duck with a sprain/ strain..who knows..took a loosing time...I penned him up at night for rest..Epsom..the whole nine yards..Muscovy...so he’s a slow mover anyway...it’s about seven months and he’s fine but it took about four to not notice a limp....but the water did help when he wasn’t stubborn and would get in...:)

Duck_life likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: