Injured duck leg

AimeeChristine

Hatching
Jun 27, 2023
Hello all. I have a blue Swedish about 4 months old. We had a severe thunderstorm yesterday and our coop was demolished with the flock inside. They were brought into an enclosed patio but one duck isn’t walking. Her leg is very swollen. It looks like she may have a cut on her foot. She is non weight bearing and tries to use it in the tub. She can stand on one leg, eating, and drinking, very talkative like usual. She is now isolated indoors with her own space, fresh water and food. I have given her a warm bath and wrapped the foot but the swelling isn’t reducing at all. Leg is slightly warm to the touch. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Attachments

• IMG_3614.jpeg
    IMG_3614.jpeg
    566.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3607.jpeg
    IMG_3607.jpeg
    570.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3604.jpeg
    IMG_3604.jpeg
    617.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3598.jpeg
    IMG_3598.jpeg
    569 KB · Views: 9
Maybe she got trampled or something fell onto her? If not broken about all you can do is what your doing, rest water therapy and add some b complex to help support the leg while healing. keep her from overdoing so the leg has time to heal. If there is a cut clean it real good and use something like Veterycin spray for wounds and infection on it. If the cut is deep then treat and wrap to keep nasties out.
Very sorry you lost the coop amazing no one else was injured.
:welcome

Maybe she got trampled or something fell onto her? If not broken about all you can do is what your doing, rest water therapy and add some b complex to help support the leg while healing. keep her from overdoing so the leg has time to heal. If there is a cut clean it real good and use something like Veterycin spray for wounds and infection on it. If the cut is deep then treat and wrap to keep nasties out.
Very sorry you lost the coop amazing no one else was injured.
:welcome
Thank you. I picked up Veterycin spray and b complex. I am amazed we made it through with minor injuries. We had 75mph winds with torrential rain and a tornado warning. She was one of a mix flock of 33 chicken and ducks. The rest of livestock came out unharmed also. We were lucky to have minimal damage.

Back
Top Bottom