Injured Duck

kirkl9483

Hatching
Sep 16, 2021
I’m needing some help and suggestions with what I can do about my injured cuyahoga duck. A few days ago my fiancé’s roughly 50 pound dog was loose and ran her over and injured her. She has been walking with a limp and before I tried to splint it she would fall to her side because it wasn’t handling the weight well. Since we splinted it, she’s been in her runner/coop and hobbles around. I noticed earlier that the splint we put on her helped her stand but she still heavily limps. Im not sure if it’s an injury in her leg or pelvis but I’m not quite sure how to tell. Her legs look fine except that she limps and she tries to walk on it. I had her in a smaller cage by herself earlier to let her rest and haven’t let her free roam. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated since I cannot afford a vet at the moment.

@Miss Lydia @Isaac 0
Do you feel a broken bone in her legs? What about warmth and swelling coming from any certain area? Are you keeping her in a confined space to limit her movement?
Edited to add: I read that you were keeping her in a small cage and not letting her free range, but are you keeping her confined at all times, to help her mend and recover?

@Miss Lydia @Isaac 0
Do you feel a broken bone in her legs? What about warmth and swelling coming from any certain area? Are you keeping her in a confined space to limit her movement?
Edited to add: I read that you were keeping her in a small cage and not letting her free range, but are you keeping her confined at all times, to help her mend and recover?
I don’t feel anything broken from what I can tell. She just limps real bad and can’t stand on that leg without falling. We have her in her runner where she can maybe take a few steps back and forth but I’m wanting to move her to a smaller crate in the morning.

Your duck needs to be confined to limit movement and so it can rest. I prefer to bring mine indoors to make it easier to monitor their food and water intake. Some stop eating after an injury, so you will want to keep an eye on it.

Give the duck swim therapy to strengthen the leg without stress to it and deep water will take the pressure off it and help ease pain. Epsom salt compress will help with any swelling and help with pain.

You can also give NSAID to help with inflammation.

Leg injuries take time to heal. I currently have one with an injured leg that is working towards 2 months of healing. She has made huge progress, but it can take a long time depending on how bad the injury is.

It could be in the pelvis area since you haven't noticed anything in her leg to give you an idea of where the injury is.
Rest and water therapy are two of the best ways to help, limit her movements but not to the point she can't move at all.
Here is one bit of info on pain relief for poultry
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ibuprofen-for-controlling-pain-in-poultry.1250629/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...n-relief-options.1350473/page-6#post-22264185
when we say warm water therapy the depth of the water should be so she can float and swim around that is how she keeps her muscles from becoming weak. And takes the pressure off the injury.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom