Injured duckling?!?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BackyardAnita, Aug 14, 2013.

1. BackyardAnita

BackyardAnita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    My duck hatched 5 eggs sunday morning. One of the ducklings look a little smaller than the others and has trouble walking. Before it could walk about a foot and then would take a break and keep on going but now it can't even walk at all, it can sort of swim though. I checked it out and one of the legs look injured. I'm not sure if it was born with a disability or got injured. The mother sometimes accidentally steps on the ducklings so perhaps it got injured from that? Please help!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you need to take the duckling and brood it by itself or with another one of the ducklings for comfort, start the duckling on plain niacin or brewers yeast, niacin in the water brewers yeast sprinkled on the feed, give it warm water swim time as often as you can, water therapy is a great way to get those muscles strong, it may have gotten stepped on and now rest and water therapy and niacin supplementation is need to get it back on it's legs. what do you mean by it looks injured? actually a good poultry vitamin along with niacin would help this lil one get going.

3. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    Post a picture. Sometimes, if the duckling was born with a deformity, depending on the type/seriousness of the problem, it is better to put the duck down. Not always, as some can be fixed, but you should check. (and there isn't a better place than a community of duck lovers, right?)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  4. KariTurner

KariTurner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2015
    I have a two week old Indian runner duck. She was accidentally stepped on yesterday. It looks terrible but it doesn't seem to hurt her. She is acting normal. The only thing I am concerned about it is it getting infected. The wound is on the left side of her face. This is where she uses her feet to clean her face. I have been using antibiotic ointment and keeping it clean. Any other suggestions?

5. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    It would be best to start a new thread for your question. One thing is I believe the ointment should NOT have pain killers in it. Hope all turns out well.

6. KariTurner

Jun 12, 2015
    How do I start a new thread?

7. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Go to the duck forum and at the top, right above "duck sticky's" is a button that says start new thread. Hope that helps!

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @KariTurner , how is the little one? I would use Vetericyn spray or saline solution a few times a day in addition to the ointment. Please keep us posted.

9. KariTurner

Jun 12, 2015
    I took her to operation wildlife to have her checked out. They told me to use a antibiotic ointment. She is healing well and it looks so much better! I am so happy she is going to be ok. She is so wonderful.

Also if you ever have to use antibiotic ointment on your duck don't use too much. The first day I was so worried about her I kept cleaning it and putting neosporin on it. Her whole neck turn red and her hair was falling out. I called operation wildlife and they said ducks have very sensitive skin and that I was caring for the wound too much. [​IMG]

Thank you all!

1 person likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by