Injured eye

Mbrady71

Songster
5 Years
Mar 25, 2019
My Americuana came in to roost tonight with a bad eye, swollen on her head and her eye was closed. She still has her eye but she is keeping it closed. How do I help her, advice on what to do. The girls don't ever peck each other that I have witnessed. 3 hens 4 years old and 3 hens 1year old. Very established pecking order. The hens all friendly. Thought maybe a stick, but it looks like feathers are missing too. What would make her head swell though? Do I need to rinse it or just let it be. I do not see a wound but a small scratch on the outer eyelid. We had company over all day and I didnt keep as close look out the way I usually do. They just hang out in my front yard and under some large pine trees on the side of the house. Not wondering far. I usually check them several times a day. Of course today I didn't. Thanks in advance for advice.

1000004599.jpg
1000004598.jpg
1000004597.jpg

My Americuana came in to roost tonight with a bad eye, swollen on her head and her eye was closed. She still has her eye but she is keeping it closed. How do I help her, advice on what to do. The girls don't ever peck each other that I have witnessed. 3 hens 4 years old and 3 hens 1year old. Very established pecking order. The hens all friendly. Thought maybe a stick, but it looks like feathers are missing too. What would make her head swell though? Do I need to rinse it or just let it be. I do not see a wound but a small scratch on the outer eyelid. We had company over all day and I didnt keep as close look out the way I usually do. They just hang out in my front yard and under some large pine trees on the side of the house. Not wondering far. I usually check them several times a day. Of course today I didn't. Thanks in advance for advice.
Can you post photos of her eye and head?

Chickens can suffer from injury from pecking, scratching their eye or a number of things.

General care is to rinse an injured eye with saline, remove any pus/debris, then put an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye. You can also use Original Neosporin in the eye if you don't have Terramycin.

Can you post photos of her eye and head?

Chickens can suffer from injury from pecking, scratching their eye or a number of things.

General care is to rinse an injured eye with saline, remove any pus/debris, then put an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye. You can also use Original Neosporin in the eye if you don't have Terramycin.
My pictures didn't post first time. I did put some up now. Thank you. It looks a little raw maybe scratching at it? She hides her head at night under my big brahama hen. They have paired like that since chicks. She poked her head out and I was shocked to see the injury. How long duration and how frequently do I treat the eye?

It has been a few days for an update. Her eye was worse the next day. She was scratching at it and the side of her face was raw. That night I noticed in the corner of her eye was a very small stick almost looked like a broken feather I pulled it out and did a saline rinse 2xday with neosporin in the eye. For 2 days.
As soon as the object was removed she was so much happier. It cleared very fast. She is all better. I will post a picture for helpful information. The lower eye lid almost looked detached I wasn't sure if it would heal. It did. She is back to normal.

It has been a few days for an update. Her eye was worse the next day. She was scratching at it and the side of her face was raw. That night I noticed in the corner of her eye was a very small stick almost looked like a broken feather I pulled it out and did a saline rinse 2xday with neosporin in the eye. For 2 days.
As soon as the object was removed she was so much happier. It cleared very fast. She is all better. I will post a picture for helpful information. The lower eye lid almost looked detached I wasn't sure if it would heal. It did. She is back to normal.
I'm glad you were able to find the debris in her eye, remove it and she is now doing much better!
Thank you for the update:)

Back
Top Bottom