Injured foot- help finding problem please

Hennigan

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
Okay so my light brahma hen is limping. She stands on one foot not putting weight on the other- the injured one. Now because she's a Brahma it's hard to view her feet correctly, her legs and toes being feathered. Her foot feathers have always been broken, pulled out or missing- and it has never presented her problems with walking(caused limping) scales would be cracked becase of the feathers trying to grow and her feet would bleed because of this. Id put her in a clean kennel and shavings when this would happen. So there is nothing unusual about her feet considering that has always been a problem. I don't see any cuts or scabs on her feet- I see broken feathers like normal and maybe a little bit of swelling that hasn't changed since yesterday but now she's curling her toes whenever I try to look (like she's making a fist). She only uses two of her toes to put weight on when she limps- the two inside front toes she won't put pressure on the back of her foot, pad and right most toe. So I can't figure out what's is wrong with her foot having no visual clues-... I've looked for signs of bumblefoot

I've looked for sign of bumblefoot, I don't see any scabs, callouses, or holes. The only thing that may have caused it was because the perch in the new coop they moved into (last Sunday) was quite high and the floor is wood. So I figure she might have injured her foot jumping- her being a heavy kind of hen and hitting her foot hard. She's in a clean kennel and the offending perch has been removed. I'm going to soak her foot in warm water to remove dirt and hopefully relax her aches. Should I trim her feathers so I can see her foot and leg so I can see more of her foot properly? What do you think the problem is? I'm really dismayed because I don't know how to help her because I do not know what the problem is and she can't get better until I do something. Im at a loss for what may be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom