Injured Guinea Fowl--HELP!

Slamance

Hatching
Apr 17, 2022
Last night I went to put up our flock, and all a sudden one of our guineas was about to kill one of my silkies. Luckily I had gotten outside when I did because the silkie was at its last go. My husband was keeping the guinea back so I could get the silkie and put him in a crate my husband had picked up a board to hold off the guinea because he was trying to attack me and the silkie (they've always been bestfriends since the silkie was a baby so I am unsure the sudden change of friendship) my husband tripped and the board fell and hit the guinea. The guinea got up after a few moments and is limping no blood or anything like that the leg doesn't look broken but he's favoring it and wont put much weight on it. I have him in a crate on the porch. I am willing to do whatever for my Frankie. What are your suggestions? Tips/tricks? What do I need to do?

Last night I went to put up our flock, and all a sudden one of our guineas was about to kill one of my silkies. Luckily I had gotten outside when I did because the silkie was at its last go. My husband was keeping the guinea back so I could get the silkie and put him in a crate my husband had picked up a board to hold off the guinea because he was trying to attack me and the silkie (they've always been bestfriends since the silkie was a baby so I am unsure the sudden change of friendship) my husband tripped and the board fell and hit the guinea. The guinea got up after a few moments and is limping no blood or anything like that the leg doesn't look broken but he's favoring it and wont put much weight on it. I have him in a crate on the porch. I am willing to do whatever for my Frankie. What are your suggestions? Tips/tricks? What do I need to do?
First - it's mating season, so Frankie did nothing wrong, he was just being a guinea. A chicken isn't a guinea, so they don't think or act the same - and the chicken will lose.
Most I've seen wld suggest to keep Frankie calm and let him rest & have time to heal. My initial thought would be to wrap with pet tape, BUT I've not seen that recommended anywhere. So just keep him crated and comfortable - and cool - and see if he recovers on his own. -AND house guineas and chickens separately. The fox and the hound were best of friends in youth as well, until nature stepped in. Disney's adaptation from there is false. They don't over come natural instinct.

First - it's mating season, so Frankie did nothing wrong, he was just being a guinea. A chicken isn't a guinea, so they don't think or act the same - and the chicken will lose.
Most I've seen wld suggest to keep Frankie calm and let him rest & have time to heal. My initial thought would be to wrap with pet tape, BUT I've not seen that recommended anywhere. So just keep him crated and comfortable - and cool - and see if he recovers on his own. -AND house guineas and chickens separately. The fox and the hound were best of friends in youth as well, until nature stepped in. Disney's adaptation from there is false. They don't over come natural instinct.
Thank you for your reply! I have him crated, and I have some layer feed and scratch mixed in there for the extra calcium also have him some water with an extra extra low dose of aspirin in there to maybe take some of his pain. I have him set up nicely on the porch. He has began eating so I am hoping that is a good sign.

Thank you for your reply! I have him crated, and I have some layer feed and scratch mixed in there for the extra calcium also have him some water with an extra extra low dose of aspirin in there to maybe take some of his pain. I have him set up nicely on the porch. He has began eating so I am hoping that is a good sign.
If it is a male, you really don't want to be feeding it layer feed. The higher calcium levels in layer feed can be harmful to a male fowl's kidneys.

Thank you, I put a small amount as I was told it would help if something with the bone was messed up. I learn new stuff everyday lol! I wont give him anymore.

Thank you, I put a small amount as I was told it would help if something with the bone was messed up. I learn new stuff everyday lol! I wont give him anymore.
@R2elk would vit b be beneficial or is that primarily for deficiencies? I've wondered bc I keep seeing chicken folk use Vit e for everything.

@R2elk would vit b be beneficial or is that primarily for deficiencies? I've wondered bc I keep seeing chicken folk use Vit e for everything.
I would give vitamin B complex. A lot of people recommend things because of what they can do for people. Lots of the stories of people using vitamin E don't show the improvements that it gets claimed.

The problem here is that guinea fowl have such easily injured legs that it could be anything from a bruise or worse.

But there are guinea fowl that have survived on one leg.

I would give vitamin B complex. A lot of people recommend things because of what they can do for people. Lots of the stories of people using vitamin E don't show the improvements that it gets claimed.

The problem here is that guinea fowl have such easily injured legs that it could be anything from a bruise or worse.

But there are guinea fowl that have survived on one leg.
So, 1/2 a tab of complex b for keets in water, would it be the same for an adult or one whole tab?

Can you examine the leg? If the injury doesn’t resolve itself in a few days, is a vet an option? I think you are doing the right thing separating him and letting him heal. As for his flock, does he have other Guinea fowl or do you have only chickens? Lastly, I do give layer feed for a few months every year to all poultry, male and female. IMO, it’s sustained layer feed that is dangerous to the kidneys. It’s possible I’ll have roosters and cocks with kidney disease down the road, but so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom