Injured Guinea Keet

SleepysheepZZZ

Hatching
Oct 24, 2021
I have a guinea keet that appears to have been attacked by a predator of some sort. It has some cuts and scrapes on one leg and the leg is swollen! I've read on here advise about swollen hock joints, but it looks more like the entire leg is swollen not the hock joint specifically. The bird feels pretty warm, but it seems a little lethargic. I have it temporarily separated from the others. Is there an antibiotic I can give to stop any potential infection, and should I try to clean the wound? If so, what should I use to clean it? Thanks in advance!

Do you have any pictures? Hibiclens at most drugs stores contain chlorhexidene, and that can be used with a little water to clean a wound. Vetericyn Wound Spray or saline can be used as well. Then apply a dab of plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment on the cuts 2-3 times a day. There is a quail forum under “Forums” above where you may also post.

Do you have any pictures? Hibiclens at most drugs stores contain chlorhexidene, and that can be used with a little water to clean a wound. Vetericyn Wound Spray or saline can be used as well. Then apply a dab of plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment on the cuts 2-3 times a day. There is a quail forum under “Forums” above where you may also post.
Thank you! I used some salt water to clean a little, then followed that up with some iodine wound cleaner. I also applied the antibiotic ointment. I haven't taken any pictures, but if it gets any worse or the keet doesn't improve I'll definitely post one. I'm a little adverse to handling it anymore right now and stressing it out further. Is there anything else I can do for it, or just keep it clean adding the ointment and hope it heals? Also, I have her in a dog crate inside right now. Would she be happier if I put the crate in the pen with her flock or would that stress her out more?

That sounds like a good plan. When I have an injured chicken, I like to keep them with others in a pen or crate inside the coop near the others. They are less stressed that way. Make sure that nothing can get to your birds. Is the coop or pen wire small enough to keep out rats?

That sounds like a good plan. When I have an injured chicken, I like to keep them with others in a pen or crate inside the coop near the others. They are less stressed that way. Make sure that nothing can get to your birds. Is the coop or pen wire small enough to keep out rats?
It should be it's the small chicken wire. Upon further inspection of the wound maybe it got its leg caught in something? Its almost a circular wound all the way around the leg. I double checked for that too and took anything that I thought they might get caught on out of the pen. We do have cats, but I noticed that when the cat walked by the birds didn't even react to it. So, I don't think that's the culprit. Either way I would have expected to have seen the wire bent somewhere or blood on something but no. I'll probably end up taking a few night excursions out to the pen to check up on things at least for a while.

Back
Top Bottom