Injured Hen- Dog attack

ClaraCluckChicken

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 11, 2017
Help please! Last night one of our small indoor dogs decided to fight our broody hen. He’s been around chickens for almost 4 years and I have no idea why this happened. The hen (buff Orpington almost 1yo) has no real visible puncture wounds. She was bleeding from her nose/beak area right after. We definitely thought she was a goner but after going inside to comfort our boys we came back and she was standing and walking around (with her eyes swollen shut). When she heard her chick she started getting down into broody stance so we figured she must be “with it” and decided to give her the night to see what happens. Well she made it through the night. Her eyes are still swollen shut though it seems. What is my best next step? What can I get at tractor supply to help her?

Pictures would be helpful if you can post some. are you able to handle her easily? If so, I would recommend gently cleaning her up and putting electrolytes (like sav-a-chick, or life-lytes in her water for the next few days). And possibly pick up some nutridrench if she needs additional energy. As long as she has a warm, safe area and is eating and drinking normally she will hopefully recover quickly. If her eyes show any sign of infection after cleaning, you will want to get ophthalmic ointment.

Pictures would be helpful if you can post some. are you able to handle her easily? If so, I would recommend gently cleaning her up and putting electrolytes (like sav-a-chick, or life-lytes in her water for the next few days). And possibly pick up some nutridrench if she needs additional energy. As long as she has a warm, safe area and is eating and drinking normally she will hopefully recover quickly. If her eyes show any sign of infection after cleaning, you will want to get ophthalmic ointment.
I feel like she looks horrible now that I look at the pic! Uhg! She got a little annoyed when I was trying to direct her to drink. Best way to get her to find her water when she can’t see?

Attachments

• B9FE1A71-2083-4461-AF09-8D829316790E.jpeg
    B9FE1A71-2083-4461-AF09-8D829316790E.jpeg
    483.4 KB · Views: 15
As dog bites carry a lot of bacteria, I would give her some antibiotics for 10 days. The swelling will start to subside after 4-5 days.
And yes, with her chick at her side she will do much better than alone.

You can offer some scrambled eggs with oatmeal to help restrengthen her, it is easy to swallow and provides important vitamins and enzymes for both.

As dog bites carry a lot of bacteria, I would give her some antibiotics for 10 days. The swelling will start to subside after 4-5 days.
And yes, with her chick at her side she will do much better than alone.

You can offer some scrambled eggs with oatmeal to help restrengthen her, it is easy to swallow and provides important vitamins and enzymes for both.
Can i get antibiotics at TSC?

I feel like she looks horrible now that I look at the pic! Uhg! She got a little annoyed when I was trying to direct her to drink. Best way to get her to find her water when she can’t see?

Have you tried just dunking the end of her beak in it? If she's stressed out then I would just let her sit or stand and then move the water, rather than moving her. Put some in a little cup and just hold it up to her.

Otherwise I have had good success with a dropper but you do have to be very careful that they don't asphyxiate, letting them swallow just a little at a time and stopping if it doesn't work. It's really key to get her drinking in my experience.

Can i get antibiotics at TSC?
I've not been able to find any commonly used (for poultry) antibiotics at TSC, but that's just my experience. I've not looked super hard either.

I usually use Baytril. You can order an antibiotic called Baytril 2.5% (Enrofloxacin) online without a prescription. It is squirted into the chicken’s mouth directly. The recommended dosage is 10-15 milligrams per kilogram of bodyweight. I wouldn't put it in the water since she has a chick. Make sure you are providing fermented feed or probiotics in the water to ensure the chicken’s gut bacteria is not disrupted. A disruption in gut bacteria can cause diarrhea which is not conducive to effective healing. It isn’t a bad idea to provide fermented feed even to healthy chickens!

You can also get antibiotics from a vet, if they are willing.

I am NOT as experienced in the area of poultry antibiotics as many others on BYC. These are just the options I've used myself.

Back
Top Bottom