Injured Hen- Dog attack

ClaraCluckChicken

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 11, 2017
Help please! Last night one of our small indoor dogs decided to fight our broody hen. He’s been around chickens for almost 4 years and I have no idea why this happened. The hen (buff Orpington almost 1yo) has no real visible puncture wounds. She was bleeding from her nose/beak area right after. We definitely thought she was a goner but after going inside to comfort our boys we came back and she was standing and walking around (with her eyes swollen shut). When she heard her chick she started getting down into broody stance so we figured she must be “with it” and decided to give her the night to see what happens. Well she made it through the night. Her eyes are still swollen shut though it seems. What is my best next step? What can I get at tractor supply to help her?

Have you tried just dunking the end of her beak in it? If she's stressed out then I would just let her sit or stand and then move the water, rather than moving her. Put some in a little cup and just hold it up to her.

Otherwise I have had good success with a dropper but you do have to be very careful that they don't asphyxiate, letting them swallow just a little at a time and stopping if it doesn't work. It's really key to get her drinking in my experience.
I was just giving her some water with a dropper and she seemed to do really well! I just gave her like a mL at a time about..very little. But she was leaning her head back and swallowing it down. I tried to wash off her face some but it was hard to scrub hard enough to get dried blood off and not hurt her..so I didn't get it completely cleared.

As dog bites carry a lot of bacteria, I would give her some antibiotics for 10 days. The swelling will start to subside after 4-5 days.
And yes, with her chick at her side she will do much better than alone.

You can offer some scrambled eggs with oatmeal to help restrengthen her, it is easy to swallow and provides important vitamins and enzymes for both.

Help please! Last night one of our small indoor dogs decided to fight our broody hen. He’s been around chickens for almost 4 years and I have no idea why this happened. The hen (buff Orpington almost 1yo) has no real visible puncture wounds. She was bleeding from her nose/beak area right after. We definitely thought she was a goner but after going inside to comfort our boys we came back and she was standing and walking around (with her eyes swollen shut). When she heard her chick she started getting down into broody stance so we figured she must be “with it” and decided to give her the night to see what happens. Well she made it through the night. Her eyes are still swollen shut though it seems. What is my best next step? What can I get at tractor supply to help her?
I would think that if she was bleeding from her nose and mouth but there were no signs of external injuries she has internal injuries. Even with quite sever internal injuries such as a chicken might get just from the pressure of a dogs jaw they will drink.
However, if she does have internal injuries then tube feeding solids into her could well kill her.
The drive of a hen with chicks to stay alive is incredibly strong, but it doesn't mean they are recovering. It just means they are trying to stay alive for the chicks.
Rather than seek advice here, I would take her, with her chicks, to a vet.

Pictures would be helpful if you can post some. are you able to handle her easily? If so, I would recommend gently cleaning her up and putting electrolytes (like sav-a-chick, or life-lytes in her water for the next few days). And possibly pick up some nutridrench if she needs additional energy. As long as she has a warm, safe area and is eating and drinking normally she will hopefully recover quickly. If her eyes show any sign of infection after cleaning, you will want to get ophthalmic ointment.

Pictures would be helpful if you can post some. are you able to handle her easily? If so, I would recommend gently cleaning her up and putting electrolytes (like sav-a-chick, or life-lytes in her water for the next few days). And possibly pick up some nutridrench if she needs additional energy. As long as she has a warm, safe area and is eating and drinking normally she will hopefully recover quickly. If her eyes show any sign of infection after cleaning, you will want to get ophthalmic ointment.
I feel like she looks horrible now that I look at the pic! Uhg! She got a little annoyed when I was trying to direct her to drink. Best way to get her to find her water when she can’t see?

Attachments

• B9FE1A71-2083-4461-AF09-8D829316790E.jpeg
    B9FE1A71-2083-4461-AF09-8D829316790E.jpeg
    483.4 KB · Views: 15
As dog bites carry a lot of bacteria, I would give her some antibiotics for 10 days. The swelling will start to subside after 4-5 days.
And yes, with her chick at her side she will do much better than alone.

You can offer some scrambled eggs with oatmeal to help restrengthen her, it is easy to swallow and provides important vitamins and enzymes for both.
Can i get antibiotics at TSC?

Back
Top Bottom