Injured Hen- Dog attack

Have you tried just dunking the end of her beak in it? If she's stressed out then I would just let her sit or stand and then move the water, rather than moving her. Put some in a little cup and just hold it up to her.

Otherwise I have had good success with a dropper but you do have to be very careful that they don't asphyxiate, letting them swallow just a little at a time and stopping if it doesn't work. It's really key to get her drinking in my experience.
I was just giving her some water with a dropper and she seemed to do really well! I just gave her like a mL at a time about..very little. But she was leaning her head back and swallowing it down. I tried to wash off her face some but it was hard to scrub hard enough to get dried blood off and not hurt her..so I didn't get it completely cleared.

Ok, so I got her some electrolytes and she seems to like my syringing it into her mouth. I tried to get her to take some scrambled eggs and she does not cooperate for that. Any other tips for getting food in her? Will she be ok with just the electrolyte water for now?

I got some ophthalmic ointment for her eyes so hoping that helps heal them faster which may help her eat?!

Ok, so I got her some electrolytes and she seems to like my syringing it into her mouth. I tried to get her to take some scrambled eggs and she does not cooperate for that. Any other tips for getting food in her? Will she be ok with just the electrolyte water for now?

I got some ophthalmic ointment for her eyes so hoping that helps heal them faster which may help her eat?!

I’m not sure at this point what could stimulate her thirst and appetite. I hope someone else can offer some advise for you.

I would guess she can smell food and will eat when she is ready, but I'm no expert. If the dog had her by the head, her neck could be sore, making it hard for her to swallow for a day or two. Soft foods like tuna, scrambled egg, moistened pellets, cottage cheese and yogurt come to mind and may tempt her. Don't force feed and be very careful with syringing water. I'm going to ask @aart to post a pic of someone tube-feeding a sick chicken so you can see why it's so dangerous to syringe liquid into a chicken's mouth. The central opening in the middle of the throat goes into the lungs, and you can easily drown them.

Help please! Last night one of our small indoor dogs decided to fight our broody hen. He’s been around chickens for almost 4 years and I have no idea why this happened. The hen (buff Orpington almost 1yo) has no real visible puncture wounds. She was bleeding from her nose/beak area right after. We definitely thought she was a goner but after going inside to comfort our boys we came back and she was standing and walking around (with her eyes swollen shut). When she heard her chick she started getting down into broody stance so we figured she must be “with it” and decided to give her the night to see what happens. Well she made it through the night. Her eyes are still swollen shut though it seems. What is my best next step? What can I get at tractor supply to help her?
I would think that if she was bleeding from her nose and mouth but there were no signs of external injuries she has internal injuries. Even with quite sever internal injuries such as a chicken might get just from the pressure of a dogs jaw they will drink.
However, if she does have internal injuries then tube feeding solids into her could well kill her.
The drive of a hen with chicks to stay alive is incredibly strong, but it doesn't mean they are recovering. It just means they are trying to stay alive for the chicks.
Rather than seek advice here, I would take her, with her chicks, to a vet.

Back
Top Bottom