Injured Hen - Questions about recovery

No, we're quite a ways away from that still, she's beginning to heal but I anticipate a lot more time inside with us still. Even when she is ready to go back out, almost all her back feathers were pulled out in the attack so she won't be able to be fully with the flock unless she's healed enough to wear a saddle, and I don't want to try that until there's no risk of making her injuries worse. I have zero interest in dealing with fly strike or saddle chafing if I can help it!
Perfect, sounds like were on the exact same page then. :)
Eventually it will be good to get her outside, but were not there yet.

She was standing fine for the first 2-3 days after the attack and is only constantly laying down now, do you think that could happen with a sprain? We literally haven't had her move anywhere on her own since it happened, she's in a dog kennel and we move her in and out. She was initially moving a bit on her own, going toward food, etc. but now I have to move everything TO her. Is it possible even that she's just realized that I'm 100% willing to wait on her hand and foot? My husband thinks her comb is a bit pale sometimes too, but he said after I came home from work and spent time feeding/watering her it was brighter again. We're so new to this, I've only seen truly pale combs in broody hens.
Hmm, that is odd. I would usually blame the previous moving from the aftermath of shock, but 2-3 days after is to long for that, how odd.
I would still put her in a chicken sling, that will make her more comfortable. Check her legs over for swelling, heat, and flinching anyway, just in case.

I would move the food and water away from her, just enough that she was to move some to get to it. Not enough to force her to get up and walk, but enough just to get her moving. Fluids are good, great job making sure she's getting those.
Maybe make her a walker even? I know she doesn't have any injuries that would require one as we know of, but its a good way to get her moving without stressing her.

Oh my... well, I may have found at least one more reason for her discomfort. There's a good sized gash under her back end, on her left side. Her vent is okay, it's not near it thankfully but I didn't find this when I initially examined her so I wasn't directly spraying it with the antiseptic like I did the others. I'm glad now that I over sprayed every time, hopefully some of the spray reached this gash too. It looks pretty good considering, and I've washed and sprayed it directly now. She's very tolerant of me handling her, doesn't mind me washing & touching her all over, and her legs and feet look very good. I'll get a sling made up for tomorrow morning, I've got loads of extra fabric I was using for extra saddles anyway.

All fingers and toes crossed for Miss Matilda, I truly hope I've found all of her poor injuries now!!

Oh my... well, I may have found at least one more reason for her discomfort. There's a good sized gash under her back end, on her left side. Her vent is okay, it's not near it thankfully but I didn't find this when I initially examined her so I wasn't directly spraying it with the antiseptic like I did the others. I'm glad now that I over sprayed every time, hopefully some of the spray reached this gash too. It looks pretty good considering, and I've washed and sprayed it directly now. She's very tolerant of me handling her, doesn't mind me washing & touching her all over, and her legs and feet look very good. I'll get a sling made up for tomorrow morning, I've got loads of extra fabric I was using for extra saddles anyway.

All fingers and toes crossed for Miss Matilda, I truly hope I've found all of her poor injuries now!!
The gash may be the reason for her not walking. Maybe walking is pulling it apart or stretching it, causing discomfort. That would make sense.
Are you coating her wounds in Neosporin? That is very important. You want to keep it moist, so use Neosporin without pain relief, and complete cover all her wounds with a thick layer.

The gash may be the reason for her not walking. Maybe walking is pulling it apart or stretching it, causing discomfort. That would make sense.
Are you coating her wounds in Neosporin? That is very important. You want to keep it moist, so use Neosporin without pain relief, and complete cover all her wounds with a thick layer.
I was just reading about Neosporin, I'm off to the drug store to grab some. Darn it, wish I'd looked that up sooner. You may be correct, as it's healing it's also drying and that can't be comfortable to have the skin & flesh pulling when she tries to move.
Ugh... I really hate that I missed this. Poor girl. :(

I was just reading about Neosporin, I'm off to the drug store to grab some. Darn it, wish I'd looked that up sooner. You may be correct, as it's healing it's also drying and that can't be comfortable to have the skin & flesh pulling when she tries to move.
Ugh... I really hate that I missed this. Poor girl. :(
Its alright, she'll be okay since you noticed it now. Good thing you figured it out before to late! :)

So this morning has brought some new challenges. I bathed her last night, blow-dried and applied neosporin darn near everywhere. I’m not sure if that just sapped all her energy or what but when I woke up she had pooped and stayed in it so it was all stuck in her tail feathers and I had to wash her again. I tried to just clean her hind end but I can see (and smell) that I didn’t get it all. Should I bathe her again? I’m hesitant to keep putting her through that.

She also made an attempt to escape my care and attention while I was applying her goo this morning, but she was SUPER clumsy. I’m not sure if this is just because she’s laying around so much? I’ve made her a sling and she’s in it now. How long should she be in it each day?

She is also not eating/drinking on her own at all now which alarms me. I got a good amount of watered/blended feed in her this morning and I will keep doing that. Should I give sugar water for energy too?

Her wounds actually look okay, it’s her inability to get up and move around easily that’s really worrying me, especially since she seemed fine to move around the first couple of days. And the fact she’s stopped eating

Sorry for all the questions, I’m just worried I’m failing her! Please don’t hesittell me if there’s anything else you think I should try!

Thank you in advance.

I woke up she had pooped and stayed in it so it was all stuck in her tail feathers and I had to wash her again. I tried to just clean her hind end but I can see (and smell) that I didn’t get it all. Should I bathe her again? I’m hesitant to keep putting her through that.
Hmm, you probably will want to bath her again. Its important to keep her clean. After that, if you make a second hole in the sling for droppings to fall through, she can sit in that wit having to worry about sitting in her poo.

She also made an attempt to escape my care and attention while I was applying her goo this morning, but she was SUPER clumsy. I’m not sure if this is just because she’s laying around so much? I’ve made her a sling and she’s in it now. How long should she be in it each day?
Its good she's trying to escape, the super clumsy part could be from not moving at all for so long. How much has she been eating? Maybe she's weak from not eating enough.
As long as she doesn't struggle to get out of the sling, you can clean her in that for most of the day. The only issue with the sling is that they have trouble preening, so take her out for a couple hours during the evening or something, and back in at night so she doesn't poop on herself. is probably what I would do.

She is also not eating/drinking on her own at all now which alarms me. I got a good amount of watered/blended feed in her this morning and I will keep doing that. Should I give sugar water for energy too?
Sugar water is good, do you have any electrolytes? Nutri-drech could be really helpful here, I believe its 50% molasses and sugar, and 50% vitamins and electrolytes or something like that. That can be given in water and orally so she gets enough in her system. It helps get there energy back, and give esteem extra vitamins at the same time. If you can, pick up Save-A-Chick and Nutri-drench. Both contain vitamins and electrolytes that the other is lacking, so there a good combo.

Her wounds actually look okay, it’s her inability to get up and move around easily that’s really worrying me, especially since she seemed fine to move around the first couple of days. And the fact she’s stopped eating
Hmm, I am at a loss with her immobility and loss of appetite. I'll tag a few experts who may have more ideas. @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous
Can you weight her? That will help us for sure. If you have a food scale thats perfect, if you only have a human scale, then weight yourself, grab her and step back on the scale. Then, see how much more you weight.
That will give us an idea of how much she's eating. If she's skinny, it could be the reason for her decline.

Sorry for all the questions, I’m just worried I’m failing her! Please don’t hesittell me if there’s anything else you think I should try!
You are doing an amazing job! Try to get some Nutri-drench and Save-A-chick, and see if that helps her. Scrabbled egg has lots of protein, and is another good thing to feed her since most chickens love it, and its super good for them.
I would also try a walker. Then, she may be able to practice moving around a bit if she wants to.
I hope the experts chime in soon, and we can get an idea on her loss of appetite and why she wont walk. Your doing great with her, keep up the good work!

My general take is that this hen is getting weak from trying to cope with her injuries. Sugar water for a couple of days can give her instant energy and may make the difference between feeling well enough to eat on her own or not. She may be at that tipping point where a boost of glucose can make a difference in her progress.

Thank you all so much, I’m off to find nitro-drench and save-a-chick to see if that helps. She allowed me to slather her backside with neosporin again but it’s looking pink and tender to me now. My guess is that it’s inflamed or infected and is probably the reason she’s not moving around.
I’m glad to hear she can be in the sling for the most part, we’ll do as suggested.
She did take in a bit of sugar water so I’ll keep that up through the day too.
Thank you thank you thank you!

Back
Top Bottom