Injured homing pigeon....

kuchchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2015
I am a firefighter and we had an injured homing pigeon fly into our station about 2 weeks ago. We finally caught it and it has some sort of injury with it's leg. It is holding it up when it perches. It is eating and drinking. We did try to contact the owner because the numbers are listed on its ankle but the owner does not want it back.

I know NOTHING about pigeons.

So a couple of questions... first is this something that we should continue to fee until it recovers and then let it go? Or should we care for it planning on keeping it? I am prepared to keep it at this point.

Right now I have chickens and quail. They are both housed in outside coops. Does this bird need to be kept inside or can I keep it in a covered outdoor shelter? Anyone with a pigeon 101 that can share with me for this bird?

Thanks in advance.

This bird will do fine in an outdoor pen/coop. Homing pigeons are tough birds. If it were me, I would keep this bird. Many pigeon fliers work on the theory or principle that "if it doesn't come home - it must be destroyed". If you get this bird healthy and release it, it may go home to be killed.

Take it to a vet to check the wing is not broken.. if it is it will need to be set.

Make sure you tell the vet its your pet and you don't want it put to sleep... vets seem to like to put pigeon to sleep for some reason.. saying it kinder!!!!!

It is flying. Seemed to have been a leg injury. Was limping but doing much better.

It will eat n live fine with same feed and care your other foul do. Chicken layer I find is very good for nesting, n extreamly helpful healing sick n injured pigeons. Check good leg feeling up n down over n over to n from body that hides part of leg.. You then feel bad leg same, looking good over both too, n then feel breaks if are any. Set breaks once get a hem in place with Popsicle sticks, or as I use straws over bandaide etc, after cutting straw up length, then setting n finally taping straw together. For thin straws don't put anything under or make sure can decent ly wiggle bandage under n straw over. Or can us bandaide and dulled down rounded edged toothpicks. Vets get expensive!!! Finally as long as "pigeons" (rock doves), are dry n fed poultry n or wild bird feed, they then need friend/s, as are social critters n heal etc better. They also are found to do better n preffer squared perches just large enough for one n another fitting two per pigeon.

I also like chicken layer feed for pigeons.

For the leg, if it is broken...another way to splint is with a nerf bullet cut to fit the birds leg length. They're hollow foam tubes and I've found them to make quick, easy splints. Shorten it to fit the birds leg, then cut it length wise so that you can open it to put around the leg, then simply hold it closed with a bandaid. Whatever kind of splint you use, be careful its not too tight and watch the bird to make sure the splint isn't causing any distress.

Good luck with the pigeon
smile.png

We had a pigeon come in last night in southern ohio..has a blue tag that says Buckeye 340 and the band is blue..it acts week and tired..we are feeding it chick starter grit water and corn..can we find out who it belongs to or should we just keep it?

We had a pigeon come in last night in southern ohio..has a blue tag that says Buckeye 340 and the band is blue..it acts week and tired..we are feeding it chick starter grit water and corn..can we find out who it belongs to or should we just keep it?

I am going to guess....

Club Name:SOUTHERN FLYING CLUB
Club Code:BUCKEYE
Club Secretary:SARATH EDUPUNANTI
City:pOWELL
State:OH
Phone No.:614-668-2295

That is north of Columbus, so might have flown quite some way depending on where you are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom