Injured infected vent

georgieboy11

Songster
5 Years
Jan 12, 2018
Indiana
6 days ago I discovered my 3 year old rooster Foghorn had what looked like very severe crusty butt, a mound of poop had completely sealed over his vent. I immediately gave him a warm bath and removed the encrusted poop and his vent looked very bad underneath. After it was uncovered though he was finally able to poop and pooped out a lot of thick dark green awful smelling poop. After a few days his poop went back to normal but his vent still looks awful and his poop isn’t coming all the way out so I have to clean him daily. I’ve been giving him warm epsom salt baths every other day which has helped a lot with the inflammation and smell but I’m very worried there is infection Inside his vent. Strangely he is acting completely normal he is very active and vocal like he usually is, other than he makes painful sounds when he’s trying to poop which breaks my heart every time. He’s also eating and drinking normally. In the images I attached his skin is blue from blue kote I sprayed on there. If anyone has any advice please please let me know I’ve done all I know to do for him. I would definitely take him to the vet but I live in a rural area and none of the vets within a 2 hour radius will take a chicken.

Attachments

• BECF60BD-69C7-44AB-96C4-E51A6DB31819.jpeg
    BECF60BD-69C7-44AB-96C4-E51A6DB31819.jpeg
    536.9 KB · Views: 12
  • D9801A21-AC66-47F8-9F6C-B1467A1E8744.jpeg
    D9801A21-AC66-47F8-9F6C-B1467A1E8744.jpeg
    426.7 KB · Views: 4
That looks like a chronic condition. It looks like crusted urates and dried poop, possibly from vent gleet or constipation. I believe you will need to get some disposable gloves and try digging out the dried material each day with a finger after a warm soak in either Epsom salts or dish soap water. After he is dry and treated, then coat his vent with a good layer of petroleum jelly. Nustock horse cream is also good. It would not hurt to put a spoonful of cold coconut oil cut into small pieces to peck or a little veg/olive oil into some of his feed daily. That might soften his droppings. Make sure that he is getting plenty of water by putting several water bowls out and around the area. If flies are a problem, this gunk on his vent may get infested with maggot larvae, and that can cause flystrike and death. So just keep an eye on it. I’m not an expert on this, but just offering some advice. If he has vent gleet, which is a fungal infection, he might benefit from using miconazole cream orally or Medistatin powder orally in a bit of water daily.

Last edited:
That looks like a chronic condition. It looks like crusted urates and dried poop, possibly from vent gleet or constipation. I believe you will need to get some disposable gloves and try digging out the dried material each day with a finger after a warm soak in either Epsom salts or dish soap water. After he is dry and treated, then coat his vent with a good layer of petroleum jelly. Nustock horse cream is also good. It would not hurt to put a spoonful of cold coconut oil cut into small pieces to peck or a little veg/olive oil into some of his feed daily. That might soften his droppings. Make sure that he is getting plenty of water by putting several water bowls out and around the area. If flies are a problem, this gunk on his vent may get infested with maggot larvae, and that can cause flystrike and death. So just keep an eye on it. I’m not an expert on this, but just offering some advice. If he has vent gleet, which is a fungal infection, he might benefit from using miconazole cream orally or Medistatin powder orally in a bit of water daily.
Thank you so so so much. I will do all of that. I appreciate your advice so much you have no idea I would hug you through the screen if I could!

That looks like a chronic condition. It looks like crusted urates and dried poop, possibly from vent gleet or constipation. I believe you will need to get some disposable gloves and try digging out the dried material each day with a finger after a warm soak in either Epsom salts or dish soap water. After he is dry and treated, then coat his vent with a good layer of petroleum jelly. Nustock horse cream is also good. It would not hurt to put a spoonful of cold coconut oil cut into small pieces to peck or a little veg/olive oil into some of his feed daily. That might soften his droppings. Make sure that he is getting plenty of water by putting several water bowls out and around the area. If flies are a problem, this gunk on his vent may get infested with maggot larvae, and that can cause flystrike and death. So just keep an eye on it. I’m not an expert on this, but just offering some advice. If he has vent gleet, which is a fungal infection, he might benefit from using miconazole cream orally or Medistatin powder orally in a bit of water
Is this the kind of cream you mean?

Attachments

• 105108E8-ECE0-48E1-94EF-60C8A17089CB.png
    105108E8-ECE0-48E1-94EF-60C8A17089CB.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom