Injured leg on chicken

Col1948

Songster
Sep 9, 2018
Manchester UK
a couple of days ago I noticed one of my pullets, limping, I looked at the foot but it seemed OK so I left it to see if it cured itself.
Anyway today it got a lot worse, when I opened the coop, she stayed on the roost, I lifted her off and them noticed her leg, she was dragging it along and hopping on the good leg.
I picked her up and couldn't see any mites or damage but when I moved her leg she shuddered as though in pain, which I'm sure she was.
She was eating OK when she got to the food and drinking but obviously her leg isn't right, I'm wondering if she did it jumping off the roost maybe, there is no predators so that one is ruled out.
I took a couple of pics, any suggestions?

IMG_0380.JPG IMG_0379.JPG

Have you checked for sores or lumps? I had that happen to a roo once only to find he had bumble foot on his heel :( had to slice it open and drain it. Warning if it is bumble, .... brace yourself for grossness o-o

a couple of days ago I noticed one of my pullets, limping, I looked at the foot but it seemed OK so I left it to see if it cured itself.
Anyway today it got a lot worse, when I opened the coop, she stayed on the roost, I lifted her off and them noticed her leg, she was dragging it along and hopping on the good leg.
I picked her up and couldn't see any mites or damage but when I moved her leg she shuddered as though in pain, which I'm sure she was.
She was eating OK when she got to the food and drinking but obviously her leg isn't right, I'm wondering if she did it jumping off the roost maybe, there is no predators so that one is ruled out.
I took a couple of pics, any suggestions?

View attachment 1614706 View attachment 1614707
Is the hock/knee joint swollen?
It looks to be twisted, so I wonder if she slipped a tendon or dislocated it.
Do you have vet care available?

Unfortunately it died, I didn't isolate her, I kept it with the flock, she followed them around at her own pace but started to stay on her own.
In the morning she would limp out then go back in the coop and sit in the nest, I put food and water for her, then one morning she never came out, I looked and and she had died.
I was planning on taking her to the vet but with Xmas and being on an old age pension I literally had hardly any money, so I was going to go in the new year when I get my pension.

I'm sorry to read this. Do you know what she died of?

Well I can only guess her injury may have been giving her a lot of pain and it was worse than I thought, I don't really know.
I know it isn't much but at least she isn't in anymore pain now, I had 5 pullets and my Grandkids named them, some say don't get too attached, I suppose with only having 5 I did a little.

Well I can only guess her injury may have been giving her a lot of pain and it was worse than I thought, I don't really know.
I know it isn't much but at least she isn't in anymore pain now, I had 5 pullets and my Grandkids named them, some say don't get too attached, I suppose with only having 5 I did a little.
People say a lot of stuff.:)
I always get attached and wouldn't want to be any different.

Back
Top Bottom