Injured leg on young bantam hen

RooRuhRooRuhROOOO

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2023
0869466A-E23D-4269-833C-FAE04AD84CB6.jpeg

So my young (6 months old) bantam hen is quite lame on her left front — this photo was taken prior to injury. There is swelling on the top side of her foot the size of a small gumball at the joint where the toes meet ( ankle?). I have her confined but other than finding an poultry vet does anyone have suggestions? They do have a high roost like 3.5 feet up i dont know if she landed badly or if something else happened

The picture is a little fuzzy, so could you get another close up pic that is clear? It appears that she has scaly leg mites. It is possible that she has sprained or broken her foot. Scaly leg mites are treated by smothering with petroleum jelly or another oil, rubbed into the scales of the leg and foot 1-2 times a week for around a month or more. A sprain may heal with rest, and a fracture might be treated with splinting and rest.

So when i got home this evening i took her out and got some photos— now there is an open wound on top of her foot. I applied bannix and also vaseline to both drummies but not to the wound of course. Should i gauze and vetwrap the wound? Or leave it open and keep spraying it?

First photo is top of foot where wound is showing and second photo is the bottom

Attachments

• 4F9A3DBD-1CA8-490D-AED8-3EDD868C2371.jpeg
    4F9A3DBD-1CA8-490D-AED8-3EDD868C2371.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 6C3A8C2E-2D3E-4074-9E72-B0C97FC7B7A9.jpeg
    6C3A8C2E-2D3E-4074-9E72-B0C97FC7B7A9.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 5
First photo is top of foot where wound is showing and second photo is the bottom
It's from Scaly Leg Mites. You'll want to begin treating her.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/treating-scaly-leg-mites-slm-what-you-need-to-know.77376/
👇
The picture is a little fuzzy, so could you get another close up pic that is clear? It appears that she has scaly leg mites. It is possible that she has sprained or broken her foot. Scaly leg mites are treated by smothering with petroleum jelly or another oil, rubbed into the scales of the leg and foot 1-2 times a week for around a month or more. A sprain may heal with rest, and a fracture might be treated with splinting and rest.

Back
Top Bottom