Injured leg??

onyx2011

Chirping
Mar 12, 2018
Recently had a crazy snowstorm blow in and knock down the netting. A contractor is supposed to be coming any day to put a permanent roof on while restoring other things. As a result, Ive been locking the chickens up in the coop instead of letting them use the run(which is now no longer predator safe). The other day, when I went in to feed them, i decided to free range as I was planning to be out for a bit and the snow had melted.

We have a RIR rooster in our flock and he tends to live the aggressive stereotype. However, he is now limping, doing the "flamingo" when he's not moving. He is the most passive Ive ever witnessed. Upon inspection,i can't notice any wounds or breaks,the legs look identical with the exception that he is heavily favoring one. The toes move just fine, curling around my hand when i pick him up. Does anyone have any idea what he injured? I feel awful watching him desperately try to keep up with the ladies :(

He could have just pulled something or just stepped on something funny given there's no outward sign of an injury, I would just keep an eye on him. How long has he been like this?

It's been about 3 days. I havent checked on them yet today as I got into a freak car crash and am sore as all heck. But that's besides the point...

Last night before i left the house i went to lock the chickens up and all the hens were back in the coop, with my boy being abandoned in the garden! His leg must hurt so badly that he didnt even bother limping to them!

So sorry to hear about your accident!! Please get well soon!:hugs

Did some quick searches on how to help chickens with a broken leg...I know your bird's leg probably isn't broken but these things might help it.

You can try putting him in a small crate of some sort so that there is only room to move around a little bit and not any more than a few steps. That way he won't move around on his leg that much. Don't put in any sort of roost or anything. Try your best to put him somewhere where he won't get surprised or scared...I put the link below on the reading I read to get this information:
http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2014/02/BrokenLeg.html

So sorry to hear about your accident!! Please get well soon!:hugs

Did some quick searches on how to help chickens with a broken leg...I know your bird's leg probably isn't broken but these things might help it.

You can try putting him in a small crate of some sort so that there is only room to move around a little bit and not any more than a few steps. That way he won't move around on his leg that much. Don't put in any sort of roost or anything. Try your best to put him somewhere where he won't get surprised or scared...I put the link below on the reading I read to get this information:
http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2014/02/BrokenLeg.html

Thank you for your concern! Interestingly enough, i severely bruised the same leg that my rooster did... Maybe we're spiritually connected now?

I think I'm going to try to bring him in, but I'm just a highschool senior, so i have to ask my parents permission, even if he will be just staying in my room... I have an old guinea pig cage that should work!

You and the rooster man, like peanut butter and jelly haha!

Bringing him in is probably the best option, so that he doesn't further his injury by being outside and doing more of who knows what to it:rolleyes: Good luck with him and hope both you and him get better soon!!!!:D

Brought him in today! I set up an old guinea pig cage, which isnt tall enough for him to stand up fully, unfortunately... RIR roosters are freakishly tall!!! But hey, it should be harder for him to injure his leg further if all he can do is crouch and lay in the chips. I pity him but at the same time, kind of enjoying him being docile and eating out of my hand like the hens do! He is temporarily swallowing his pride, it seems. :lol:

How do you know when a chicken's leg is getting better? I feel so bad for the guy, he looks pitiful just laying there all the time...

Brought him in today! I set up an old guinea pig cage, which isnt tall enough for him to stand up fully, unfortunately... RIR roosters are freakishly tall!!! But hey, it should be harder for him to injure his leg further if all he can do is crouch and lay in the chips. I pity him but at the same time, kind of enjoying him being docile and eating out of my hand like the hens do! He is temporarily swallowing his pride, it seems. :lol:
How do you know when a chicken's leg is getting better? I feel so bad for the guy, he looks pitiful just laying there all the time...

Can you post some photos of the legs and feet (bottoms of the feet as well)

If he is injured, but can still stand, it's best to put him in a box or crate that is large enough to accommodate him - he still needs to be able to walk upright/move around.

If he has been in the smaller cage and has been crouching/laying then he may get weaker or his legs may be really stiff.

Back
Top Bottom