Injured leg?

chiki1

Chirping
Jan 6, 2022
We have another chicken, whose leg is injured. Its been injured for around 2 months and the chicken is half a year old. We have had him separated from the rest of the flock ever since we noticed, and he's been inside. His leg has been getting worse recently. She used to stand with one leg completely straight to the side of her and the other normal (we called it her peg leg), and she used to lay down normal. Now, she will barely stand on it, and when laying down it's behind her yet off to the side a bit. Should we be giving her vitamin E or other vitamins? I've been hanging out with her a lot since we put our other chicken down and she's gotten attacked to me and I've gotten attached to her.. Will we have to put her down? She was with a chicken who had possible Marek's disease, one with an infected wound, and one with wry neck but I don't think anything other than Marek's could be contagious.. I don't want her to suffer but I don't want to lose her either. we are located in Maine where theres snow and ice, but she hasn't been outside that much. I bring her out every once in a while but we have roosters that will ride her (about 4 to 6), so I bring her back in shortly after. We used to have a ladder in the coop that the chickens liked to sleep on, could she have landed from that wrong? She's started laying and I don't think she's in too much pain. Her name is Kevin and we don't know her breed, she is around 6-7 months old and we gave her vitamin E for around a month.

We have another chicken, whose leg is injured. Its been injured for around 2 months and the chicken is half a year old. We have had him separated from the rest of the flock ever since we noticed, and he's been inside. His leg has been getting worse recently. She used to stand with one leg completely straight to the side of her and the other normal (we called it her peg leg), and she used to lay down normal. Now, she will barely stand on it, and when laying down it's behind her yet off to the side a bit. Should we be giving her vitamin E or other vitamins? I've been hanging out with her a lot since we put our other chicken down and she's gotten attacked to me and I've gotten attached to her.. Will we have to put her down? She was with a chicken who had possible Marek's disease, one with an infected wound, and one with wry neck but I don't think anything other than Marek's could be contagious.. I don't want her to suffer but I don't want to lose her either. we are located in Maine where theres snow and ice, but she hasn't been outside that much. I bring her out every once in a while but we have roosters that will ride her (about 4 to 6), so I bring her back in shortly after. We used to have a ladder in the coop that the chickens liked to sleep on, could she have landed from that wrong? She's started laying and I don't think she's in too much pain. Her name is Kevin and we don't know her breed, she is around 6-7 months old and we gave her vitamin E for around a month.
She has also started stretching her neck out from time to time, along with head/neck jerks that go on for around a minute.. At first it looks like a seizure, but its only one part of hr body

She has also started stretching her neck out from time to time, along with head/neck jerks that go on for around a minute.. At first it looks like a seizure, but its only one part of hr body
sometimes chickens stretch their neck up and open their mouth to adjust their crop, moving food into their stomach for digestion. it looks scary but is something they do.

If you lose another chicken, it would help to get a necropsy through your state poultry vet, to get a diagnosis. Mareks seems likely. How many chickens do you have? 4-6 roosters is way too many for most flocks. If you have her out for visits, she probably needs to be protected inside a dog crate with food and water. Other chicken will naturally attack a flock member who is lame or acting differently. Read this link for a lot of info about Mareks disease:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

If you lose another chicken, it would help to get a necropsy through your state poultry vet, to get a diagnosis. Mareks seems likely. How many chickens do you have? 4-6 roosters is way too many for most flocks. If you have her out for visits, she probably needs to be protected inside a dog crate with food and water. Other chicken will naturally attack a flock member who is lame or acting differently. Read this link for a lot of info about Mareks disease:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
we have around 20-40 hens, and she isnt getting bullied by the others, if anything they go up to her to keep her company

Can you please take a video on your phone and upload to youtube and drop a link in your post? also some pictures would help.
I have a photo of her leg and wing actually.. Her wing stretches out when her hurt leg is farther away from her body

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 5.33.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 5.33.15 PM.png
    640.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 5.33.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 5.33.27 PM.png
    578.2 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom