Injured? Neuro? HELP!

tpbcbe

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 20, 2013
I just found this hen (3-4mo old, otherwise been healthy and fine) like this about an hour ago, walking but unable to pick up her head well. Seems neuro, I'm hoping it's not..... Let me know you're thoughts. She does seem to have bruising around her eyes too.

Thank you :)
0.jpg
0.jpg

Ok I think I changed them to public. She seems a little better today, I syringe fed her some electrolytes last night. She's holding her head up better. Thanks again.....

The two things I know of that can cause the limber neck are Mareks disease and botulism. Most of the ones I have read about seem to have leg weakness first. Botulism paralysis usually progresses upward in the spinal column from feet , to legs, wings, and neck, eventually paralyzing the eyelids. Mareks can be one sided affecting legs or wings. I would make sure that the electrolytes have vitamins (B1 thiamine and E) or I would add vitamins. Here is some info on botulism and Mareks:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism
http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf

If you think either of those is possible, I can give you more links to read.

Thank you for the info, I didn't see this response. I did a lot of reading and ended up syringe feeding her water with electrolytes and then putting brewers yeast on some crumble for her. The next morning she looked so much better and has progressed greatly since then. She went back to the coop last night and seems perfectly fine today. I guess only time will tell if it's Mareks and rears it's nasty head again. I did take the new chicks off of grower early this year so I wonder if it was a deficiency? I'm going to supplement the feed with some brewers yeast for a bit and see if that helps anything. Thanks again for the advice.

I'm very glad to hear that she is doing better. I would guess that this was some temporary problem due to vitamin deficiency, injury, or from eating or exposure to something poisonous. It doesn't really sound like botulism or Mareks from the lack of leg paralysis and the speedy recovery.

That or my husband threatening her with the axe ;) Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom