Injured Pekin

Amazon

Chirping
Jul 30, 2019
Deering, NH
Hi

We have an injured duck. She somehow got traumatic injury just above her left eye. It first appeared that she was losing a feather or two around here left eye a week ago Tuesday (when I first noticed something - oddly there was no blood that I could see, and it's dark when I let them out before work).

On Wednesday my husband sent me a picture and said "look at this". It was very noticeable, and getting inflamed around the eye. I said call the vet. He did, Thursday PM appt when the avian vet was in. OK, sounds good.

I let them out of their coop Thursday AM and it was HOLY CRAP! Blood on the side of her face, by her wing and her thigh. 4pm seems a long ways off.

We get her to the vet, and there's obviously an infection. She could barely open her eye. Obvious trauma above here eye (essentially a scratch). But it had gotten infected. He did a Fluorescein stain of the eye, and it was OK. So we are treating the area of the scratch and the eye 3 - 4 times a day with Ofloxican drops to clear up the infection.

She was and continues to eat and drink well. But the eye area was still very messy/pussy/crusty...and fresh blood at times

But three ducks (2 ducks/a drake) are also in with 1 rooster and 4 hens. They share a run, but have separate coops. Sunday morning we saw the rooster attack the injured duck. We have divided the run, so they are now separated. Hoping this would allow the duck no more problems and would show signs of healing. We felt we removed the cause of the re-injuring by being picked on the by rooster.

The "mystery" is, they are locked in their coop at night. When I let them (her) out in the morning, there is still fresh blood. I think it's bothering her, and she is scratching at it.

The infection appears to be subsiding. But it is hard to tell - the entire area is in rough shape. I really need to bring her in an clean up the wound site. She probably hasn't been able to open her left eye for days now.

I'd bring her back to the vet if necessary, but I think there must be a way to get this under control so she can heal. I'll spend the money if it's needed, but I need to be practical as well.

It's winter here in NH, so no swimming pool for them right now. They have a heated water bowl. She can dunk her head. I threatened my husband to let her use the bath tub :) But how do I keep her from re-injuring herself? Cone of shame? Any ideas? Anyone think the drake could be the problem? I've only seen him grab the back of the neck when, well, you know ;-)

If he is being frisky he could accidentally grabbing her at the eye I’ve see my drake do it. Probably a good idea to separate her maybe with another female while she’s healing
I hope that's all it is and she gets healed up quick.
When we figure out the accommodations it will be one or two females. Yet to be determined.
We will most likely be working with a kiddie pool, and some chicken wire to keep her contained. It's the mess the concerns me - so if it's x2 and sitting in wet straw/shavings for the day, because let's face it...that's what ducks do...I'd prefer it be one duck. IMO there's just no good way to keep a duck in doors. lol

You could also stand cardboard up all around the pool. I do that for my ducklings when they get big enough to jump out of the pool brooder. Sam's club has good big cardboard pieces between the layers of their product on the pallets. I would imagine Costco would too. I even noticed that Aldi had some on their water case pallets. If you've got one of those collapsable dog fences they usually will go around the pools nicely and the ducks are too big to get through it so that would work great!

We are keeping our ducks in the garage at night for now. We already had a dog door on the garage and built them a coop for when the weather is bad but they have been staying in there at night for quite some time now.
With one or 2 ducks it shouldnt been too bad as a temporary solution. We have a large storage bin that their water dish goes inside to catch anything they spill and it works well for us. Their food dish also goes in the blue bowl in the pic and catches most of the kibbles they drop.
As for poop we just clean up whatever is dirty in the morning, like a big cat litter box I suppose and add clean wood shavings. It's not for everyone but it works for us and they will be back outside hopefully this spring.
20190130_172454.jpg

I hope your girl feels better soon :)

We are keeping our ducks in the garage at night for now. We already had a dog door on the garage and built them a coop for when the weather is bad but they have been staying in there at night for quite some time now.
With one or 2 ducks it shouldnt been too bad as a temporary solution. We have a large storage bin that their water dish goes inside to catch anything they spill and it works well for us. Their food dish also goes in the blue bowl in the pic and catches most of the kibbles they drop.
As for poop we just clean up whatever is dirty in the morning, like a big cat litter box I suppose and add clean wood shavings. It's not for everyone but it works for us and they will be back outside hopefully this spring.
View attachment 2025214
I hope your girl feels better soon :)
Thank you. I'll be showing this to my husband, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom