Puddingtheamericana

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2021
I have a quail named Clementine, she loves to squeeze behind things when she's nervous, although it usually backfires for her. she has a very natural coop filled with logs, rocks, plants, etc. I went to visit her today and couldn't spot her, then my brother told me she was behind her rocks. the rocks are right in the far corner of the coop and she was squeezed right down in the corner, unable to get out. I crawled into the coop and moved the rocks and picked her up, she was breathing oddly, through her mouth, like hyperventilating. I just built her a nesting box and went to put it in her coop and I noticed when she ran, shed-like limp, trip, tumble over, and such. she also keeps fluffing up her feathers.

does anyone know what happen and how I can fix it/help her?

I have a quail named Clementine, she loves to squeeze behind things when she's nervous, although it usually backfires for her. she has a very natural coop filled with logs, rocks, plants, etc. I went to visit her today and couldn't spot her, then my brother told me she was behind her rocks. the rocks are right in the far corner of the coop and she was squeezed right down in the corner, unable to get out. I crawled into the coop and moved the rocks and picked her up, she was breathing oddly, through her mouth, like hyperventilating. I just built her a nesting box and went to put it in her coop and I noticed when she ran, shed-like limp, trip, tumble over, and such. she also keeps fluffing up her feathers.

Sounds like she may have broken her leg or slipped a tendon. Check the bird's whole leg for signs of purple and swelling, especially in the calf of her leg. If you see that, make sure to isolate her from other birds and stabilize the leg with tape and sticks. I have had this happen once, and not quite sure how to make a proper cast for a bird's leg, but it appeared to help him. His leg had significantly reduced in swelling by the next day. If it is a slipped tendon, check the heel of the bird's leg for any abnormalities, it should be evident if the tendon is not in proper position. Both conditions can get secondary infections, and leaving the bird in a large enclosure could allow them to worsen their injuries.

update, she seemed better, then a rat ate her, short story short i don’t think the leg is a problem anymore but thanks!

Back
Top Bottom