Injured quail

Bukrub66

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Montgomery, Texas
Something tried to get to my quail last night. I came out this morning and found blood and feathers all over the place. I have them in pen above the ground about 3 foot with a 1/2 hardware cloth floor. When I checked them out it looks like 2 of my whites and 1 of my brown are injured on the belly. Looks like feathers have been pulled out but I see no lacerations. I figure the coons must of got underneath and pulled the feathers since that's all the could reach thru the cloth.

Do I need to put some kind of medicine on these wounds. I'm really not sure what to do here. I'm gonna put another layer of hardware cloth below that will give a 2 inch barrier between to stop this from happening again. Just was worried about infection and such.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Something tried to get to my quail last night. I came out this morning and found blood and feathers all over the place. I have them in pen above the ground about 3 foot with a 1/2 hardware cloth floor. When I checked them out it looks like 2 of my whites and 1 of my brown are injured on the belly. Looks like feathers have been pulled out but I see no lacerations. I figure the coons must of got underneath and pulled the feathers since that's all the could reach thru the cloth.

Do I need to put some kind of medicine on these wounds. I'm really not sure what to do here. I'm gonna put another layer of hardware cloth below that will give a 2 inch barrier between to stop this from happening again. Just was worried about infection and such.

Any advise would be appreciated.
If the skin is unbroken, no treatment is needed. If the skin is broken, i like Blu Kote. The wire 2" under the floor is a good fix for the problem. Quail cant see in the dark and instinct tells them to lay quiet till danger passes...... thats why their belly, feet or neck can get caught by a coon..... check toes.......

i just looked again and there is quite a bit of blood in the belly. But can't see any cuts. One of my browns is holding its leg up. I can't tell if it's broke or not. Can't believe how depressed I am about injured birds I intend to kill and eat. But I am really bummed about this. And feel terrible I left them in danger.

Good call on checking the toes. I have a total of 5 missing toes on 4 birds, along with the belly feathers missing. I don't see any active bleeding but rinsed out the pen just to be sure.

I did half inch on the floor they walk and 2 inches below 1" chicken mesh. Had a cat try to get my birds but looks like my double layer is working so far. Sorry about your loss of toes :( I"ve lost 2 of mine to hawks... and they were my egg layers...

Last edited:
They all seem fine now. I'm just getting started so these were my egg layers. I can't find much info on what to do about the missing toes. I suppose once I get some more hatched, I will rotate these out to meat birds. I keep spraying them down with blue kote. Added the second layer of wire. I beleive them to be secure now.

Back
Top Bottom