How mean is too mean?

egops

Hatching
Jul 6, 2023
Hi all,

I am new to poultry and would like to know if my male quails are being too mean and maybe it's time to add some to the freezer. We have 10 quail (now 9 wks) and split them between 2 cages. The top cage is really frisky and aggressive. I noticed one of the hens had almost all of her head feathers pulled out from mating attempts so I took her out and put her with the more mellow quail in the other cage (she's much happier). Unfortunately, in the top cage they are now picking on a different quail and this one is now losing lots of feathers! There is a little bit of blood from where they feathers have been pulled out but right now it isn't too serious and there are no signs of infection. Are they being too aggressive or is this normal behavior and losing some feathers is okay?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi all,

I am new to poultry and would like to know if my male quails are being too mean and maybe it's time to add some to the freezer. We have 10 quail (now 9 wks) and split them between 2 cages. The top cage is really frisky and aggressive. I noticed one of the hens had almost all of her head feathers pulled out from mating attempts so I took her out and put her with the more mellow quail in the other cage (she's much happier). Unfortunately, in the top cage they are now picking on a different quail and this one is now losing lots of feathers! There is a little bit of blood from where they feathers have been pulled out but right now it isn't too serious and there are no signs of infection. Are they being too aggressive or is this normal behavior and losing some feathers is okay?

Thanks in advance!!
Imho i think its time for freezer camp for those aggressive males.

For me any balding means it’s time to intervene. Could be a poor ratio, bad demeanor or something else wrong with their environment.

A lot of people seem to think having a bald bird is normal though.

Some roosters are just more high strung and rougher than others, they will be more aggressive and keep the gals on the run almost nonstop, I don’t like a busy summertime pen and I don’t like to see a plum bald hen, but anytime there’s blood/scalping it’s time to intervene.. nip it in the bud, early.. I keep a handful of extra young roosters after each hatch just to “test drive” swap out if needed, and keep the hens from any unnecessary balding or injuries. The hens can “train” a younger rooster to be a bit more subdued and calm.. in my opinion and experiences over the years.. good luck !!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom